Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
    <snip>
    Please be careful using gasket dressing in areas that have oil passages. I have seen, more than once, motors starved for oil because a chunk of RTV got squished out when tightening and blocked and oil return passage.
    Funny you should mention that, I've always been afraid of an embolism in oil lines from that very reason. Cardiovascular/Oiling system, Stomach/Oil Pan... Same thing...

Quick Quasimoto, get me a brain. Really...

Either that or it's; Quick Sanchez! I'm working on my XJ11 & it's still POed, I smell windmills...

Last edited by KA1J; 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post

Please be careful using gasket dressing in areas that have oil passages. I have seen, more than once, motors starved for oil because a chunk of RTV got squished out when tightening and blocked and oil return passage.
      Have had it happen to me on an old KZ400. Resulted in a motor seize at 60mph, although some previous members here vigorously disputed it, and thats why I only use 3 Bond now (1104 if i can get it, but in the States the best one to get is 1194, 1104 has lead in it). It's not RTV and only a very light smear is needed, and anything squeezed out is too small to be a problem. Most people who have problems with squeeze out have used far too much to begin with, but unlike RTV any excess wont break away, it just tends to run down the case or gallery, spreading out as it goes until it sets, leaving only a smear on the walls instead of great globs of silicon running round your engine.

Many new engines now are assembled with sealer rather than gaskets. Its cheaper and better, providing the cases are machined to match.

Look it up here http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/produc...1100/1194.html
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
      X