Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter plunger assembly with broken end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter plunger assembly with broken end.

Hello, I am new to this community and I need some help please. I started cleaning my carbs today and realized one of my starter plunger jet shafts has broken off at the end where it hooks to the choke lever . I have a 1981 1100 MS. Does any one out there have one of these they could sell me. Thanks for any help I can get. I am out of the possibilty of getting it running untill I can find one of these.
    [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
    1973 RT3][/B]

1981 1100 ms

Does anyone know where I could look to find a starter plunger?
    [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
    1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

An idea... these plungers are brass. Brass is easily drilled and the plungers are, I believe, solid. To keep you going until you get a replacement (or maybe even permanently), how about drilling a small diameter hole in the plunger (you may have to flatten off the old stump with a flat file) and then use a self-tapping screw or similar, with a head diameter similar to that of the broken off bit?

If you use the correct relkative sizes of drill bit/screw, you should be able to tighten the screw in until it's the correct length... the head of the screw should be big enough not to go through the activating rod fork. Or, if the head of your screw is too small, put a small washer on it before screwing it into the plunger. I'd try your drill bit on another piece of metal first and use the screw to check that it's not too loose or too tight in the hole made by the drill bit.

The brass plungers slide easily in their bores; any feeling of resistance when you pull the choke lever out is due to the spring-loaded ball bearing on carb #1. So, I think the above would most probably work
      Last edited by James England; 06-04-2011, 02:45 PM.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Try P/N 48-0775, scroll down....

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-35.html#products
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Try P/N 48-0775, scroll down....

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-35.html#products
          Thanks, Checking it out now. I may need to get float needles also. The one on this first carb is not coming out , is there a trick to this? These carbs have been sitting about 4 years.
          1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

Soak things down with PB blaster and those "seats" should pop out with a pliars. There is a dryed out O-Ring in there. If you're ordering carb parts from MikesXS, just make sure they are for the BS34 type carbs.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, I am able to get them out now. Hope to go through all carbs today so I can get my needs list ready.
              1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

Personally my current opinion is except in a rare instance I wont pull the o-ring seat. If it leaks during the bench test then pull it.Just Me.

Soaked my last set in Yamaha Carb cleaner mixed with gas and they cleaned up better than anything I ever used before. It's kind to seals as well. P.S> They were gook locked up bad and I didn't have to buy any parts.
                Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 06-05-2011, 10:21 AM.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Working...
                X