Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer & tach xs1100SF vs. XS1100E

hi,
    anyone know if the electrical connectors and bracket fasteners for the speedo/tach for the 1100E will will fit the 1100SF? according to the XS Part Number website ......

XS1100E 2H7 SPEEDOMETER - TACHOMETER 1 Speedometer Assembly 2H7-83570-A0-00
    http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/fiche/XS1100E/YA4152_66.gif

versus

XS1100SF 3H3 SPEEDOMETER - TACHOMETER 7 Speedometer Assembly 3H3-83570-A0-00
    http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/fiche/XS...f_fiche072.gif

thanks
    jack

Are you trying to mix-and-match gauges and brackets, or planning to swap complete assemblies? You can physically swap the complete gauge sets as the triple tree mounts are the same, but it goes downhill from there.

The round special gauges will fit the standard gauge mount bracket, but not the other way; you will have issues with the gauge shell and the bracket, and may have interference with the indicator lights panel.

Swapping the whole thing? Still not good; it's not plug-and-play, as the wiring plugs are all different, as well as some differences in the bike harness. It can be made to work, but it's not a bolt-on...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks ..... exactly the guidance i needed. I found the 1100E complete assembly for a god price but will not buy it because of the headaches. i'll hold off to find a replacement speedo for the 1100sf i have.

Comment

The speedometer you seek could be found on many Yamaha bikes of similar vintage. Any speedometer from any "Special" is a direct bolt on. The 160 MPH '79 Special speedo is highly coveted. The XS650 unit reads to 120. All 1980 and later only indicate to 85 MPH.

Marty (in NY)
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          The speedometer you seek could be found on many Yamaha bikes of similar vintage. Any speedometer from any "Special" is a direct bolt on. The 160 MPH '79 Special speedo is highly coveted. The XS650 unit reads to 120. All 1980 and later only indicate to 85 MPH.
          Marty (in NY)
          I purchased my 1980 XS1100 a couple months ago and it had a non-working odometer (looked like it was melted?). I was able to find a '79 speedometer/tachometer assembly on ebay a few weeks ago for $75 in near perfect condition and swapped out the speedo (now 160 rather then 85). It was a direct bolt on, but the plugs had to be swapped as the 79 and 80 had different electrical plugs. I was fortunate to find the 79 assembly when I did for such a reasonable price cuz it was a 'buy it now' and I snagged it an hour after it was posted. Seems most of those usually run around $200 and even many of those look pretty rough....
          1980 XS1100
          1997 Ural Sportsman (2-wheel drive)
          1975 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro

Comment

79 Special Speedo Octo ???s

Hi all New member here, just had a 79 special fall in my lap, a light front hit. Trying to put it back together on the cheap because..... OK because I am cheap.

I was a light hit gauges headlight shell mirrors fender gas tank side covers, the usual. I have a better tank, side covers, good fender fresh iggy switch and I grabbed a 140MPH Speedo I had laying around, maybe from an XS750? I did the wiring harness mods and it's bolted on along with a fresh housing around the tach, and it looks good. The gearing is the same then on pretty much any ole Yamaha speedo? I'm asking because I still need an inner speedo cable and don't want to spend the money on that, if I will not end up with a functional speedo. I threw the ignition switch in, and the bike fired up and ran clean immediately. So I am getting close. The fuel system still has the octo, is that a must remove? or toss it if it goes bad item? Thanks for any help or guidance.
            I am normally an XS650 guy with a serious, 5 gusting 7 bike addiction. Seriously I'm cutting back, last winter it was over a dozen. But I am always a sucker for any "cheap" bike that needs a little love.

Here's the "just off the trailer " pic
            79 SF/ XS650
            old guy no expert

Comment

Gary,

The speedos are the same for most or all of the XS bikes. I believe you can use a XS650 bucket for the speedo as well.

I vacuum shutoff valve (octopus, spider valve) can stay. It's certainly no more complicated than a vacuum operated petcock. You may also choose to be rid of it, but I'm one of those people who need it. Here's how to fix them: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=25058.html
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

The XS 750/850 speedos will interchange just fine.... same speedo ratio.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Hey that is a great link on the petcock overhaul, mind if I post that link over on the XS650.com site?

Yup used an XS650 speedo can and even "reglassed" the tach (rim was dented) which came out good.
                  Beavering away this morning, headlight back on, moving parts over to the "new" fuel tank. Maybe a test jaunt this evening. Are these prone to the Famous Yamaha 2nd gear issue?
                  79 SF/ XS650
                  old guy no expert

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                    ....Are these prone to the Famous Yamaha 2nd gear issue?
                    Yes they are.....

Here's the fix.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

2nd gear issue, YES. But you might be in luck and not have any issues with your particular ride. My 80G has almost 95K on it and no sign of the 2nd gear problems.

man Steve, you type fast.
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

If that fix involves splitting the cases I am not even going to LOOK at it! Thanks for the help and info so far. The now defunct speedo reported 44K miles.
                        It appears the PO had put a brand new Octy on this bike.
                        Here's a pic I found from a craigs ad, the PO had been trying to sell it before the ditch excursion....

Gauges before

Gauges after
                        79 SF/ XS650
                        old guy no expert

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                          If that fix involves splitting the cases I am not even going to LOOK at it!
                          No splitting the cases... It is a bit of a PITA, but unless the gears are really trashed, it's usually a lo-buck repair.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Nice Gary! Don't you just love the easier restorarations?
                            I'd love to find one in that good of shape and that easy to repair.

My SG that I got to fix up had all kinds of little issues, but then the reward is bigger for the deeper fixes.
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

You guys rock

She's a runner. And a good runner. No smoke. Starts idles revs goes real fast stops and all the electrical works. Second gear works perfect no problem even when shifted at red line. There were a few snafus today but it's all good now. I ran into this: I bought a used tank, it had petcocks but they were vacuum and only had one port, no probelm sez I, just move the petcocks from the dented tank over, clean em up inside (thanks for the petcock guide, i learned a trick or three from that). Go to mount them on the other tank and.... damn the petcock bolt centers were different! I swear the tanks are identical.

But now I am thinking someone even craftier than I welded plates with new holes onto the tank, well the vacuum diaphragm on the back of the petcock hit the frame rail so it won't go on the bike. I had to put the old tank back on to run it.

No speedo but I'll get a cable coming and I still have to iron out the title, it's a little dodgy, I suspect the PO is ensconced at the crowbar hotel. But i have ways, I will get clean paper.
                              So how fast is 7500 RPM in 5th???? And how long will my license hold up?
                              Last edited by gggGary; 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM.
                              79 SF/ XS650
                              old guy no expert

Comment

Working...
                              X