Front brake dragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake dragging

Can't seem to locate why the front left brake seems to drag when the bike turned right or especially left. This is NOT from leaning, but when you turn the handle bars when moving the bike.
    Whew, more work here than I thought!!!

Originally posted by cliffpersinger View Post
    Can't seem to locate why the front left brake seems to drag when the bike turned right or especially left. This is NOT from leaning, but when you turn the handle bars when moving the bike.
    check your calipers...and rotars...make sure both are tight in place...check that your hoses aren't too tight...causing pullage, if all that is good, I would pull my calipers and makes sure the calipers are working properly as well as making sure my rotars aren't warped...and then i'd go ask one of the guru's on this site for more help if all that doesn't work...
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Sounds like it is time to disassemble and clean your brakes.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You may be suffering from a collapsed brake hose. Get the front wheel off of the ground, sqeeze and release the brake, confirm there is a drag on the wheel then crack the bleeder screw on the suspected caliper, if the drag disappears, then that hose is collapsed internally and holding pressure on that caliper.
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Thanks

Ok, busy Saturday. Oil change in car first, then off to HS graduation - niece. Time permitting.. will try all above suggestions... plus oil change on Laayla (the bike).

Comment

MC spooge hole blocked

ManagerMike may be right. But a blocked spooge hole could do it too. Inside the MC reservoir by the hole is a tiny, tiny hole known as the spooge hole that allows pressure to equalize behind the piston. if the piston isnt releasing fully, turning may change the pressure inside the hose engaging the caliper. like twisting a soda straw closed at both ends.

i suspect you'll find if you just clean and adjust all the parts your problem will disappear. Like magic

luck

john
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
              ManagerMike may be right. But a blocked spooge hole could do it too. Inside the MC reservoir by the hole is a tiny, tiny hole known as the spooge hole that allows pressure to equalize behind the piston. if the piston isnt releasing fully, turning may change the pressure inside the hose engaging the caliper. like twisting a soda straw closed at both ends.

i suspect you'll find if you just clean and adjust all the parts your problem will disappear. Like magic

luck

john
              do you flick the straw after you twist the straw closed at both ends? cause i do that with my kids every time we go out to eat...guaranteed to make an old lady crap her pants...and my wife always pretends she sat down at the wrong table when i do it...FUN!
              Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
              Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

I have the same issue on my XJ but it goes away at times. Guess it is time to go through the front break caliper and master cyl.
                Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Wife sick

Well, no sooner did I get the oil change started, then the little lady got sick . Been babying her for two days now. Hope to find something out this week . Supposed to be great week for ridin'. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cliff

Comment

This is a very common thing on CB's, when it's caused by turning the handlebars from side to side, it's usually the fork lowers twisting a minute amount, just enough to cause the brake to drag. This happens because the only thing keeping the fork lowers from twisting is the axle, and sometimes it can twist just enough to cause a problem. Solution: fork brace on the lowers, this has solved this problem on a LOT of CB's, so maybe it would work here too.

Comment

Working...
                    X