Front Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Master Cylinder

In the process of a brake rebuild, I found that the diaphram in the front master cylinder was all torn to heck. I need a new one, but searching for days on the internet has been a fruitless search. All the rebuild kits I find do not provide a new diaphram and it is impossible to just find that one part. Can I just pur fluid into the reservior and just forget the diaphram? Anyone know where to get a new one? Anyone have an extra to sell? I'm even willing to just buy a whole new m/c if need be. Are there any m/c's off a newer bike that will fit properly? I wanna get this fixed ASAP. I'm talking a couple of days max. Not weeks. Any help would be appreciated. WildKat, since we are neighbors, you may be a good resource. You know any good parts houses around here? Thanks
    1980 XS1100 SG Stock

master

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    In the process of a brake rebuild, I found that the diaphram in the front master cylinder was all torn to heck. I need a new one, but searching for days on the internet has been a fruitless search. All the rebuild kits I find do not provide a new diaphram and it is impossible to just find that one part. Can I just pur fluid into the reservior and just forget the diaphram? Anyone know where to get a new one? Anyone have an extra to sell? I'm even willing to just buy a whole new m/c if need be. Are there any m/c's off a newer bike that will fit properly? I wanna get this fixed ASAP. I'm talking a couple of days max. Not weeks. Any help would be appreciated. WildKat, since we are neighbors, you may be a good resource. You know any good parts houses around here? Thanks
    i ordered complete frt. master clylinder from mikes xs's it works great. but its one for 650 xs, good price to. and far as i remember didnt have to do any modifications, to make it fit up.
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

If you're talking about the diaphram under the fill cap, you can get those from Mikes XS, part # 08-7000. A bit pricey at $38, but that's one source. You might try the dealer, they do have some parts for these bikes as some were used on multiple models for years. Call with the part # (which you can find here: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/partinfo...J3-25854-01-00), as many dealers don't have the older part fiches anymore.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

BikeBandit actually has them for $13.98, but then you get ~$8.00 S&H! They also sell the carb jets, mike want to see about ordering other parts to save on SHIPPING fees!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I you have a motorcycle scrap yard near you, the XS650, XS750, XS850, XS1100, and I'm pretty sure SR500, and XS400, all have the part you need under the cap. There are probably others I'm not aware of.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Sweet action! That should be more than enough sources to find it. I'm definetly not looking to spend $40 on a piece of rubber, but now at least I can do some shopping around. Thanks guys!
            1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

I have made my own out of a piece of thin rubber or even plastic milk jugs. It simply needs to be able to flex as the pressure level inside the M/C changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                I have made my own out of a piece of thin rubber or even plastic milk jugs. It simply needs to be able to flex as the pressure level inside the M/C changes.
                No, it needs to have that 'bellows' in the diaphram. As fluid level drops (the brakes are applied, pad wear), the diaphram expands to keep a constant air volume in the reservoir. Without it, you'll pull a small vacuum and draw moisture into the brake fluid...
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...