Fuel sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sender

I am installing my low fuel sender back on my tank. I do not remember if the senser was pointing up or down when I removed it. also is there a float that should be moving inside the senser? how does this thing work? is there a way to check it. Thanks for any information.
    [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
    1973 RT3][/B]

On the special models including the MNS, the wire on the fuel sender points to the back of the bike. It is purely electronic. Nomoving parts.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the information.
      [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
      1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by SLB1963 View Post
        I am installing my low fuel sender back on my tank. I do not remember if the senser was pointing up or down when I removed it. also is there a float that should be moving inside the senser? how does this thing work? is there a way to check it. Thanks for any information.
        Hi SLB,
        it's called a thermistor.
        As I understand it, there's a conductor inside it that's cooled by being immersed in gasoline. When the conductor dries out it's resistance changes which turns the red light on.
        If it's installed upside down it'll still work but not until there's only a 1/2-mile's worth of gas left on the reserve.
        Test it in air by hooking it up to the bike wiring and turning the ignition on.
        The red low fuel light should light up. Dunk the thermistor in a jar of gasoline and see the red light go out.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 05-30-2011, 04:20 PM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I tried it out and it works! I am glad I do not need to buy one as they may be hard to get. Thanks,
          1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

Working...
          X