1981 Special compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Special compatibility

I am looking for misc. parts for my 81 Special and am just wondering about compatibility issues with parts from other bikes. Is the 1980 special pretty much identical to the 81? Are there any other years that are generally similar?
    Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
    K&N filter
    Spade fuse block
    Barnett Springs

sortof depends on the part

it really depends.. parts like fenders are same for all specials, sidecovers not so much.

engine parts? internal or case?

seats are different every year, but interchange except for 79 which needs a 79.

list out your specific needs.

Also it helps for future to put model and year in signature so you need not remember to include it in the message body. Post pics when you can.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The 80's + 81's use different ignition advance systems and TCI boxes. The 80's have 1.5 ohm ignition coils and a ballast resistor and the 81's have 3 ohm coils (preferred setup) with no resistor. Watch out for the 81 Midnight Special, it uses many parts different from all previous models.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The 80 and 81 like stated, are about 80% identical. Deats, tanks, side covers (except emblems), just about everything is interchangable. With the exception of the ignition system as Phil stated, also the 81 model year changed TCI because they took the mech advance off and built that curve into the TCI. Even then, you can use the 81 coils on the 80 by removing the resistor ballast.

From a cosmetic standpoint, in 81 some items were painted black like the final drive, and they outline of the foot peg brackets, and the circles in the engine case side covers. They also painted the cylinders black and shined up the edges in 81. So if your going for true absolute factory stock restoration, it can be alot more part by part dependant. If your going for factory parts that will work well and fit, it opens alot of doors.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, I just bought this bike a month ago. I had a Maxim 10+ years ago, but haven't had a bike in years. It runs great, but there are a few cosmetic things that I would like to replace when I run across one for sale on ebay or wherever. I just didn't want to be buying parts that aren't going to fit.
          Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
          K&N filter
          Spade fuse block
          Barnett Springs

Comment

Working...
          X