carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb question

Reassembling carbs for my '81H and am using solid metal needles from carb rebuild kits I bought for a '79SF in lieu of the viton tipped needles that were in my carbs. One of the carb tips advised against using the solid metal needles because they might jam. I did notice that the new needles do not have the tiny wire bails on them to attach them to the float tang like the viton tipped needles did. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to have to disassemble the carbs again due to a sticking needle issue.
    80 G "The Beast"
    81 H "The Dresser"
    79 XS650 II
    82 650 Maxim
    70 DT-1 Enduro
    66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
    96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The needle seats are different shaped I believe and the metal tipped ones will not seat properly. Get the proper needles.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Your original needles should work fine unless the viton tips are damaged in some way. Just wipe any white residue build-up off the viton.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Your original needles should work fine unless the viton tips are damaged in some way. Just wipe any white residue build-up off the viton.
        the viton does get hard over time though and if they are original they are most likely hard.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          the viton does get hard over time though and if they are original they are most likely hard.
          Take you originals and wipe them on a rag soaked with carb cleaner. Wipe toward the tip and rotate to make sure the entire surfance is cleaned.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbiker648 View Post
            Reassembling carbs for my '81H and am using solid metal needles from carb rebuild kits I bought for a '79SF in lieu of the viton tipped needles that were in my carbs. One of the carb tips advised against using the solid metal needles because they might jam. I did notice that the new needles do not have the tiny wire bails on them to attach them to the float tang like the viton tipped needles did. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to have to disassemble the carbs again due to a sticking needle issue.
            The metal tipped ones might be narrower and a different height so you might run into issues using them in the late type seats. I could care less for those retaining clips, they are more a pain than they are worth. If your float drop level isn't too low, you shouldn't need them anyway. Again, JMHO
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

carb question

Thanks for all the advice, guys. My old viton needles look pretty good (the bike only has 13,700 miles on it) so I'm in the process of reinstalling them. Hard to be positive, but the profile of the metal needles does appear to be slightly more pointy than the viton ones. I need to get these carbs reassembled and back on the bike ASAP. Will let you know how it goes.
              80 G "The Beast"
              81 H "The Dresser"
              79 XS650 II
              82 650 Maxim
              70 DT-1 Enduro
              66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
              96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Working...
              X