1981 1100 midnight special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 1100 midnight special

Hello, I am new to this community. I purchased a 1981 1100 MS from my brother in law. He bought the bike brand new in Dec. 1980 and only put 1,470 miles on it, That is correct. Only 1,470 miles. it sat under his carport for 27 years. 3 years ago he took it to a shop and put new tires, fluids, tune-up and brakes on it. When he got it back from the shop the back brake soon froze up so it sat again. I talked him out of it 2 weeks ago and am in process of the restoration. I have the tank cleaned out and am wanting to try to get it running without removing the carbs. I said all that to ask this. On a manual I downloaded online it shows a fual diaphram. This one does not have one on it. The fuel lines from each side are joined together with a T and then it has 2 inlets for fuel to enter the carbs. is this normal or did the shop he took it to rig something up? everything looks right. There is no area I see that something was removed, like the fuel diaphram. What problems would I expect to look for on a bike that has sat this long. everything on the bike is like new except for the aging cosmetics and they are not that bad. Thanks for any feedback I can get.
    Last edited by SLB1963; 05-29-2011, 08:02 AM.
    [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
    1973 RT3][/B]

Hello and welcome to XS site,
    That T you see for the fuel intake is correct. That is stock. The diaphragm is inside the carbs. If you haven't taken them apart you will not see them. If you remove the cap on top of the carb, that's where the diaphragm is. You can try and run a product called Seafoam through your carbs. Put it right in your gas and run the bike. It is available through NAPA, but I would strongly recommend taking them out and cleaning them. They are not difficult.
    Definitely change all your fluids. As far as the brakes go. The brake fluid over time turns jelly like. The o rings inside the calipers are probably unable to allow the pistons to retract because of the jelly like brake fluid that is stuck under them. Try and buy a Clymer or Haynes manual on your bike too. They are invaluable.

Wayne
    80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
    Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Running

Welcome fellow Louisianian! I think you will have no choice but to pull the carbs and clean being the bike sat up that long. I am in the Crowley area if you need help with getting it running.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Even if the carbs were cleaned 3 years ago, you will most likely need to pull them and clean them(Unless no fuel was ever put in them after the last cleaning)

Regular maintenance
        1. Change all Oils and filters (Crank case, middle drive and final drive)
        2. Change brake fluids
        3. Check and adjust Valve shims
        4. Adjust Cam Chain Tensioner
        5. Check age of tires replace if older than 5 years old or if tread is warn down to indicators
        6. Take every electrical connection apart clean then apply some dielectric grease and put back together(I would do one at a time)
        7. Check fuse box. If it is the original it is recommended to be replace with the newer blade type.

There is a maintenance section that goes into more detail. These are the things that I will be going through with my sons "New" 81 XS1100SH. Good luck with your new bike.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

It sounds like he is talking about the octy valve for fuel, and i am not sure if 81 had one like the 80. The brake masters, and calipers will definately need to be gone though with a general clean up. That along with cleaning the spooge hole should take care of the brake problem, and allow you to stay healthy a while longer. Don't take chances. There is a guide in the tech section that is a guide for what to look for on getting the bike road worthy. Oh, and welcome to the madness.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
            Welcome fellow Louisianian! I think you will have no choice but to pull the carbs and clean being the bike sat up that long. I am in the Crowley area if you need help with getting it running.
            Thanks, I am in West Monroe. I will pull the carbs i am sure. The diaphram I am talking about is on the ouside of the carbs. The fuel lines run to it and the motor vacume feeds the carbs. I have a yamaha manual coming that I bought off ebay. I guess my bike does not have this type set-up. There is one vacume line going to the #2 carb. I drained all carbs and the fuel was what you would expect for being 3 years old. I would like to try running cleaner through it just to see if it works. I can clean them out but the synching is what looks tough.
            [B Bone stock 1981 SX1100LH 1,430 miles bringing back to life, slowly but surely.
            1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

He is referring to the "Octy" or vacumm operated fuel diaphram valve. They were stock on all Special models including the Midnight Specials. ALOT of owners sh!tcan the thing though because it becomes a pain in the but and the petcocks have an off position.

In stock configuration, the OCTY is mounted above carb number two. The fuel ine form the back or ON port of the petcock runs to the Octy two center inlet nipples. The two outer nipples would run to the Ts you mentioned.

Sounds like on your bike, the shop or your BIL removed the octy and kept the Ts.

As to what to look for, check the FAQ section for the title "What to look for in a neglected XS1100". Great info. Also, get an owners manual, look in the maintenance section, and go through it ALL, every last item in there.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, Must have been the shop that removed it. My BIN never touched it, Dang tool bag has never been out of the bike. I am glad to have a place for avice!
                1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

If you need any help i will be in west monroe for the next week on a job!
                  Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                  1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
                  XJ maxim rear air shocks
                  KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                  Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                  BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
                    If you need any help i will be in west monroe for the next week on a job!
                    Thanks for the offer!I will be leaving Monday for work and returning on Thursday. I am going to continue cleaning the carbs today. I do know I need 1 start plunger to complete the job. I still have 3 carbs to go. Sending PM.
                    1973 RT3][/B]

Comment

Working...
                    X