petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock

I was curious-We talk about our petcocks and there are 2 on the bike but can 1 be used for everything?I was wondering because my SG's tank is small and have seen other tanks out there with 1 petcock and they are a lot bigger.I don't know what else would fit but is the petcock setup that big of an issue?I look at my ZRX's fuel tank and it has 1 petcock and holds 5 + gallons.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

yes 1 can provide plenty of gas for all carbs but reserve capacity will be cut at least in half.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, the problem is that on reserve the petcock is drawing from a level below the level of the tunnel hump. This means you are only drawing from one side of the tank on reserve. My honda CL had a cross connect line between the two sides to handle that by keeping them connected so that only a single petcock was needed. My XS400 does it by the back of the tank being low enough to acomplish the same thing.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Does each petcock supply fuel to all four carbs? I notice on mine there are two fuel inlets - one between carbs 1 and 2 and one between carbs 3 and 4. I don't see any way carbs 1 and 2 share fuel with 3 and 4. Just wondering.
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

One petcock supplies two carbs, it is supposed to be hooked up that way. On my 79 Standard, the left petcock supplies all 4 carbs, but that is my own doing.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

On the specials with the octy still in place either petcock will supply both carbs. Without the octy on the special or with a standard the system is each petcock supplies only a pair of carbs unless you setup some sort of cross feed system.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Oh, gotcha. Thank you.
              '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

OK but was wondering if i was to get a large capacity tank and hook up to my XS would i run into any issues with it beside fitment issues?
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Nope, one petcock is enough, and if it is a tank designed to only use one petcock you are all good.

I do sort of want to set mine up so I can use one petcock, just so that I don't have.to switch both to reserve immediately.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                    OK but was wondering if i was to get a large capacity tank and hook up to my XS would i run into any issues with it beside fitment issues?
                    In the past, I have run my bikes from a small plastic lawnmower tank for the 15 minute ride to or from what used to be their winter storage location. A single feed, split with a T so you feed both sides will work fine, and it does not have to be some large diameter feed feed line.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                      I was curious-We talk about our petcocks and there are 2 on the bike but can 1 be used for everything?I was wondering because my SG's tank is small and have seen other tanks out there with 1 petcock and they are a lot bigger.I don't know what else would fit but is the petcock setup that big of an issue?I look at my ZRX's fuel tank and it has 1 petcock and holds 5 + gallons.
                      Hi Oldyam,
                      the flow through a single petcock will be more than enough to run all 4 carbs and a simple plastic tee will split the flow to feed both gas intakes.
                      FYI, a Standard or a Venture tank will drop right onto the Special frame. There's minor fiddles to the gas level sender and you may have to doctor the seat, the tank swap is well documented on the site.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

OK Fred-I was looking at E-Bay and because i have a Kawasaki ZRX the bottom of the tank has an identical bottom to the XS special tank.I have to take my ZRX tank off to do some things and will start to measure.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                        X