Beastly likes Rotella 15-40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beastly likes Rotella 15-40

Hidey Ho my compadres. I always poo-poo'd the claims that this or that oil made any noticeable difference in how good a bikes transmission shifts, but not any more. The PO of Beastly had Castrol semi synthetic, I think in 10/30 weight in there - a good oil.

A while back I inquired about what an '11s trans should shift like because mine seemed exceptionally rough. The general consensus is that these bikes just don't shift that smoothly. Well I just did an oil change and went to the Rotella 15-40 which is what I use in my other bike and the 11 shifts significantly better now. I'm very surprised since I went from semi synth to dino, but it is what it is. I would recommend that you guys try this stuff at your next oil change. It's a very popular oil amongst bikers for various reasons, but I'm especially impressed by the improvement in shifting. If I lightly preload the shifter before pulling in the clutch, she snickers into every gear very positively with none of the previous mayhem. FYI, the previous oil only had about 200 miles on it so it wasn't worn out. Just my thoughts - I hope someone finds this helpful.
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Thanks.......we all pretty much been there done that...........problem is the Rotella hasn't been a diesel oil specificly now for over a year trying to cover a broader market I suppose........and caused my top-end valve train to sound like hay-bailer.........20-50Vav.......all quiet again and no consumption.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Wow, mine sounds like a sewing machine it's so quiet (except for the exhaust and intake), not the slightest bit of smoke either. I guess each bike is a little different depending on mileage, wear, factory tolerances, etc.
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

each bike has its own personality, likes and dislikes.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          each bike has its own personality, likes and dislikes.
          Yup, mine likes castol 20w50, MC specific or not doesn't matter, but anything else I've tries has either made for a noisy top end or had it use oil.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Doing fine with 20w50 castrol GTX. Been using it for almost 30yrs. Seems your advice should be to avoid Castrol semi synthetic.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

My '80G, Columbo, likes oil. O. I. L. Oil.

Except for avoiding the Energy Conserving oil it doesn't matter what kind of oil I put in the engine: regular automotive; heavy-duty diesel; motorcycle-specific; recycled; expensive name brand or Wally World bulk. I don't use Amsoil but at the moment the bike's running with a belly full of some tasty Mobile 1 synthetic 20w-50 and it likes that just fine, too.

The engine doesn't consume any oil unless I run sustained high speeds or high loads, then it develops a slight thirst. The oil gets changed every 2,000 miles or whenever the bike lets me know the oil needs to be changed, whichever happens first.

Keep the engine filled with (accept no substitutes!) oil.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                My '80G, Columbo, likes oil. O. I. L. Oil.

Except for avoiding the Energy Conserving oil it doesn't matter what kind of oil I put in the engine: regular automotive; heavy-duty diesel; motorcycle-specific; recycled; expensive name brand or Wally World bulk. I don't use Amsoil but at the moment the bike's running with a belly full of some tasty Mobile 1 synthetic 20w-50 and it likes that just fine, too.

The engine doesn't consume any oil unless I run sustained high speeds or high loads, then it develops a slight thirst. The oil gets changed every 2,000 miles or whenever the bike lets me know the oil needs to be changed, whichever happens first.

Keep the engine filled with (accept no substitutes!) oil.
                Where did you find 20w50 mobil 1? I think the problem on these engines isn't really synthetic, it's the weight, they need the heavier weight oil that's needed.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Yes, it was expensive.

The valve cover was starting to pick up a nice tan when I checked the valves and synthetic oil is supposed to clean engines so I decided to give Columbo a treat instead of the usual diet of 15W-40 Rotella.

I'll check the valve cover again before the next oil change in about 600 miles to see if it actually cleaned anything before I go back to Rotella, or just go completely hog wild and splurge for a supersize jug of Walmart 20W-50.

I can't link directly to the O'Reilly's page but here's a copy/paste:

$9.69 Each
                  Part Number: 1-20-50
                  Line: MOB
                  Online: Not Sold Online
                  Store: Available
                  Mobil - Motorcycle Motor Oil
                  • Mobil 1
                  • UPC: 71924449251
                  • SAE 20W-50 Fully Synthetic
                  • V-Twin 4 Cycle
                  • Quart
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It was 20-40 and that bike was one of the smoothest shifting I've had. Did you have gas in your oil?
                    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                    79 DT 100

Comment

Oh Goody, an oil thread!!!
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        Oh Goody, an oil thread!!!
                        LOL! Yeah, really, I'm just waiting for the engine to 'splode from using v-twin oil in an inline four.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                          Did you have gas in your oil?
                          Me? I haven't been able to find 20W-40 anywhere locally, just 10W-40 and 15W-40. No, there's no excessive gas in the oil when I change it, just the usual dark stuff from the detergent doing its job.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                            It was 20-40 and that bike was one of the smoothest shifting I've had. Did you have gas in your oil?
                            Hey there buddy, first let me say I am thrilled with the bike. It's everything you said it was and more. To answer your question - yes and no. When I first got the bike from you I'm sure there was no gas in the oil but it wasn't the smoothest shifting bike I ever had. Maybe for an '11 it is but not compared to my XR as an example. No shifting problems, just extra clunky by my standards. The bike sat for a long time because of my back operation and three of the pilot jets got plugged, while I was in there I rejetted for the pods. Having run into a few problems along the way with the carbs (my own doing), I DID end up with a gas smell to the oil, that's when I changed it to the Rotella and noticed an immediate change for the better regarding the shifting. Just snickers into every gear very positively. So I would say that at least in this bike the Rotella is better from the standpoint of shifting than the Castrol. Thanks again for a great bike!
                            Last edited by 11Rider; 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

You might be able to find 20-50 Mobil 1 at Wal Mart. I get it there for the Pickup. I get in the the 5qt. bottle.
                              RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                              X