Second gear Dremel & Washer fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second gear Dremel & Washer fix

I've just done the 2nd gear dremel fix on my XS1100, and did the washed swap at the same time. Problem I have is that I cant get the gears back in again. It just wont quite clear the other gears enough to get the shaft to line up. Any suggestions, or is there a trick to it?
    Phil

I've done practice runs on three engines from parts bikes. I did this so that, if the time comes to do my own bike, I would be reasonably experienced at doing it.

I was unable, on any of the three engines, to get the layshaft back in if the washer had been switched and, I suspect, it's the same here for you. I read the threads extensively about doing the washer switch and read that, for some engines, it's just impossible.

My engines were all out of the frame, on the ground and upside down, so it should have been about as easy as you can get. In all three cases, it was completely impossible to get the layshaft back in by any method whatsoever! I spent over an hour on one, just persevering and trying a rubber mallet, lever, BASHING it, begging it, pleading with it and, finally, bleeding on it from a cut knuckle. To no avail. On re-locating the washer in its usual position, the layshaft went straight back in.

I think you will find that the washer swap is not suitable for all engines.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I did the washer move. I couldn't get the countershaft back in. I went to work and was gone three weeks. I came home and it wouldn't go in. I walked away. I came back and dropped it right in. It's certainly a challenge. Now that I've done it, I wish I could lend a hand.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Here some info that I found helped alot when putting the gears back in.

I put the shift fork for second on the main shaft and into place on the shift drum. Then put the shift fork for first and fourth onto the fourth gear and manipulated it a bit as I moved the countershaft into place. As I put the countershaft in, I slide the second gear end up first and make certain second gear stays inside of the outer gear on the main shaft (you have to look at it to see what I mean and I was not in a photography mode today). Then let first and the middle driven gear (on the other end of the shaft where the bolt goes in) slide all the way against the case and wiggle the assemble a little as I slide it up. Even with the washer swap having been done.

Using this methodology, I was able to get the shaft into place in just a few minutes, and yes, I did so several times. And the shift fork marked with an F and a 3, that one goes to first gear, not fifth! The long end faces out on the outer shift forks.

Well, hope that helps out.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          I did the washer move. I couldn't get the countershaft back in. I went to work and was gone three weeks. I came home and it wouldn't go in. I walked away. I came back and dropped it right in. It's certainly a challenge. Now that I've done it, I wish I could lend a hand.
          This sounds like the method for me. I'll be away working for the next couple of weeks at least, so it should drop straight in when I get back.

Seriously though, I'll try DGXSER's method when I get back. I've been trying to get the 1st gear end into to bearing first (almost goes, but not quite).
          Phil

Comment

Working...
          X