gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas mileage

just put a wiseco 1179 kit in my 81 special...went thru the carbs before hand and everything is new...got bike back today rode it 50 miles on 8 dollars of gas (3.64 a gallon) and now on empty....thats 25 miles to the gallon..i fig it should be 40 to a gallon.....110 mains and 45 on the low side whats up to fix my mileage...????thanks for any sugggestions....i need them bad.............gump
    windjammer gump
    bikes now own
    1981xs1100sh special
    1971 cb 350
    mini chopper project
    bikes use to own
    1978 750/four..
    1983kz1100 ltd

No help here as I have not done the wiseco deal. But just for curiosity what was your mileage before? I got a reasonable 42 on my last XJ fill. Its all stock. + iridium plugs.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

It might help to break it in a bit. Check the plugs for proper fuel burn. I'm in the low thirties with a stock bike. On a long slow cruise, I can get 45 mpg. If I run hard, it drops well into the twenties. My bike is pretty much stock.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
        just put a wiseco 1179 kit in my 81 special...went thru the carbs before hand and everything is new...got bike back today rode it 50 miles on 8 dollars of gas (3.64 a gallon) and now on empty....thats 25 miles to the gallon..i fig it should be 40 to a gallon.....110 mains and 45 on the low side whats up to fix my mileage...????thanks for any sugggestions....i need them bad.............gump
        Isn't an increased fuel consumption to be expected if one increases the cubic capacity of the engine? I don't get 40mpg from a standard XS1100 and I don't hammer mine either. I'd have thought a possibly enthusiastic riding style, coupled with a 7% increase in cubic capacity, on a 30+ year old bike with a dry weight of 560lbs or so (your weight to be added to that + luggage etc), would lead to 25mpg. Years ago, on my new one, driving very enthusiastically along a 200 mile stretch of motorway (as 19 year olds often do), I could actually see the fuel gauge move relentlessly downwards.

Although it's not generally praised as a fuel economy measure, I'd have thought you're now a prime candidate for the XS750FD modification. It would probably be a fuel saver for you, given the increased capaciy of the engine. You'd take 500+ rpm a minute off at around 60mph... more as you go faster.
        Last edited by James England; 05-28-2011, 05:42 AM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

See if your brakes are dragging a bit, JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

May not bt the issue, but those 45 pilots are not stock, 42.5 is stock. What are your pilot air jets?

Make sure you check your plugs and the gap on those as well. Once went on a long ride with a fellow XSive, he was having some carb issues so he opened up his plugs to try to compensate. We went about 60 miles into our 100 mile trip before he ran out of gas, we filled up before we left. He reset the plug gaps before we came back, he made it home on the tank.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

You have a lot of extra friction going on inside a fresh engine after a rebuild. Give it 500 or so miles before you start wondering.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ditto on what Nate said, let it break in. However, I still find that my 78 will get around 40 mpg OR run like a scalded dog..... but not both.
                Guess it just depends on the left side of my brain at the time of measurement........

Of course the 40 mpg calculation was derived during a long and careful (and unintentional) stint on reserve
                '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

New engines need time to settle in. I have about 3000 on a new set of intake valves (OMP polished stainless) and the bike is running sweeter every mile. After a break in valve adjustment, it has leveled out nicely. Fuel consumption is speed related. It's 65 miles from me to the closest place to legally exceed 55, and i get from 34 to 36.5 running a 850 FD, Fairing, etc. With some tweaking, hotter coils, maybe some iridium plugs it might go up. Might try that some day.
                  1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
                    ..i fig it should be 40 to a gallon.....
                    A number often strived for and seldom achieved...

Truthfully, few attain that mileage, and numbers in the mid to high twenties aren't at all unheard of. The best I've ever gotten was 40 mpg, and that was only once. With a big-bore, I would expect a small loss, and until that new motor is loosened up, I wouldn't worry...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

12.75 fill up at 3.49 a gall.....

filled tank to the hilt...got 80 miles to a tank of gas...just guesssing on the 25 mph ....a little over 3 gals..got me 80 miles...rode 200 miles and filled tank 3 times but had gas when i got home....my old bike was an 1100 and got 125 miles to a 3 gallon tank...but it did have some miles on it.....thanks GUMP
                      windjammer gump
                      bikes now own
                      1981xs1100sh special
                      1971 cb 350
                      mini chopper project
                      bikes use to own
                      1978 750/four..
                      1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Hey Jammer,

I've got the same bike, same little big bore kit, some 16+K miles on the engine now. 4-1 pipes, Indy filters, otherwise stock setup..cams, carbs with 117.5 mains, 42.5 pilots, I do have high output coils, OEM final drive.

The speed you're riding at has a definite influence on the mileage. On the superslab pushing a small windscreen, my 220lbs, rectangular saddlebags at 70mph, and it gets consistently 30MPG. Surprisingly this weekend at the XS East 2011 rally in Western Virginia, running the twisties with just the windscreen removed, but more "Spirited" riding, rpm's in the 5-6k range but mostly in 2nd and 3rd gears at 30-50mph, I was actually seeing higher mileages rates closer to the 40mpg range!?

The WIND puts a tremendous load on the engine....the faster you go, more horsepower that's needed and the more fuel needed to develop that horsepower, so even though speed limits have returned to the 65-70 range over much of the country, I would bet if you did an experiment and ride at 55mph one time and measure vs. 70mph trip that you would find a much better mileage rate at the slower speed....but it's not as much fun, and takes a bit longer to get where you're going!? And as stated, after breakin, it'll improve also!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X