Success!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success!!!!

So I finally got the broken needle out of the carb (Yes, I am very happy)
    Now if buddy next door can bring me back the other one I'll be able to get it fixed too.
    I certainly hope his buddy hasn't broken or lost it.

Now I'm trying to wire my Vetter to my bike....but that's in another post.
    1979 XS1100F

what techique did u use?
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

what techique did u use?
      Yeah please reply on that one. Im trying to do the same thing right now
      '78E

Comment

A little heat, some penetrating fluid, and a proper sized screwdriver. Worked for me.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A little heat, some penetrating fluid, and a proper sized screwdriver. Worked for me.
          Are you heating the brass? and also, what screwdriver can you use that is that small to get in there? I just broke my last drill bit, and needles are to weak.
          '78E

Comment

what worked for me was a box of thump tacks and a screwdriver, and a 90 degree mechanic pic with a hammer handle... after 3 days of frustration it came out
            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
            1980 gs1000g "stock"
            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

I heat the aluminum around them up. Also I grind a screwdriver down so that it fits just right.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The needle on mine was sticking out a little so I used that internal press "Tool" to push it flush. This moved it enough that I could use a 45 degree pick to push it a little further. I then used the old screw that I ground down to push it the rest of the way out.

I preceeded all this with soaks in carb cleaner and sea foam deep creep. These soaks were intermittent over a few weeks. The real test will be later today when I'm supposed to get my other carb back from my neighbour. (Fingers crossed) and I'll have to do it all over again, but this time I don't have weeks. I want to get the bike running this weekend.

It has been said here a few times that taking our 11s to a bike shop is a hit and miss proposition. My personal experience has me agreeing with this. This errant carb was given to somebody that works at a Yamaha shop. I was told that the carb is "irrepairable". The guy couldn't get the needle out and said that drilling would destroy the carb. His reccomendation: get a new carb body.

So everything stays in my garage now, unless I'm really stuck. There are some Western Canadian XSives that I would trust.

So if you're stuck, see if one of the professionals here can help. Cause taking it to a bike shop.......who knows. It cost me a month of time and got me no further ahead.

Just my $3.25 worth.

Bob
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

I wonder if a fine soldering iron could be used to heat the broken off tip in order to ease the process? I bet brass and aluminium have different expansioin rates when heated, so it might work?
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I wonder if a fine soldering iron could be used to heat the broken off tip in order to ease the process? I bet brass and aluminium have different expansion rates when heated, so it might work?
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Got the "irrepairable" carb back last night. I soaked the needle from both sides a few times with Deep Creep and carb cleaner. Then used the tool to push the needle flush with the throat wall. After that, a little prying with the 45 degree pick and I'm good to go.

So with all the great help and ideas here I was able to do what the Yamaha mech couldn't....fix the unfixable.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                      X