Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Carb thread...wont idle

Hey guys,

I have read a lot on here about whats going on with my bike and still cant figure it out...

My bike ran last fall - rough though - but it ran. It had been sitting for a while before i got to ride it for october and then one day it wouldnt start - so i decided to rebuild the carbs this winter (which i have done many times with success) but this time i think i got something wrong. The bike was running very rich so here is what i did -

rebuilt petcock, inline fuel filters, all new jets from georgefix, re set needle clip to middle position (it was one up on the rich side), set floats to 25.5mm, turned pilot screws 2.5 turns out from seated (where the old ones were set), bench sync'd. also, i trimmed the coil wires, confirmed spark, checked compression and have new plugs.

The only thing new i have done i havent done before is the pilot screws and the bench sync. i think this is where i screwed up. i should say i am running pod filters and always have with no problem - lots of power always. i have changed a lot of stuff in the carbs so im having a hard time figuring out what is out of whack here. I can get it started and it has lots of power when i get in mid to high rpm, but low, it bogs down and dies when i give it throttle. I just want to get it running good enough so i can sync the carbs and do a proper mixture tuning on the screws. any suggestions on what i could do? I am assuming its the pilot jet/screw thats messed up. i ordered new mains up two sizes from stock to see if that helps - but i always ran stock jets with the pods so i dont know why all of a sudden it wouldnt like that. i just want to ride! these 80 degree days are killing me.

Go back to the main jets that were previously working.......your jumping ahead of yourself abit........gota pull those pilots, make sure all is clean and open since it sounds like you have alrady removed and popped the bowels off. Future referance.......if not starting, the LAST area to be messin with is the carbs.......Primary, secondary ignition sources ALWAYS before carbs, no different than old-school automotive world. Hope that helps.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Also, if it works above 3000 RPM and bogs below, you have a problem with the idle circuit most likely. Very likely you didn't get the idle circuit passages clean, and need to go through them again. If you can't spray carb cleaner into the idle jet passage without jet in there and see it come out the 3 holes by the butterfly, you have plugged passages. Also make sure you cleaned that little jet in the bowl and that you cleaned the emulsion tubes, those will give you problems as well if you don't get all those little holes in the sides of them cleaned out.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

cy - i should have mentioned when i first put the carbs back together i got it running and idling fine but then after about 30 seconds of idling it would start to spudder and die. i thought maybe fuel wasnt getting to the bowls or something, but everything is clean and open as far as i can tell. i confirmed the pilot passages are clean, also i forgot to say i let the carbs soak in simple green and really cleaned everything out ( didnt let em sit in there too long ).

Comment

Did you totally disassemble the carbs, i e pilot jets and emulsion tubes?
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Working...
          X