Mikesxs Black Coils only 11,500 km's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikesxs Black Coils only 11,500 km's

Just thought I'd let everyone know. I bought these part# 17-6803 xs performance coils around $35/each. Well they both only lasted 11,500 km's. I kinda heard about them not lasting too long but got them anyways. Well it's true.To make a long story short - thx to Tinman905 lending me his working coils (& his mind on phone) Yeah, now I know how to run a multi-meter. Thx to his patience hehe. That takes me now to the height of my mechancial savy. Now I'm electro man - all wires beware. On my way to work the bike just shut down like someone pulled the plug & then no go. Well I ordered green Dyna coils today from Z1 Enterprises with yellow 7mm wires, boots & a crimp tool. Should get them next week. Then back in saddle. Just a heads up for anyone out there looking to by some new coils. - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

I'm doing a survey on how the installation was done on those, did you use crimp connectors or did you solder the wires to the terminals of the coils (the primary wires I'm speaking of here).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yep I had the same issue with the mikesxs ones. I went to the dyna coils also. I feel they are much better.

cywelchjr - I just crimped mine. They hold up with no issues.

Ozz
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

For your survey

I had them crimped & sealed with shrink tube - Dan
        '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
        1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
        Rebuilt head, valves
        TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
        Tkat Fork Brace
        T.C. Spade Fuse Box
        Dyna Coils & wires
        Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
        ISO grips with stelleto ends
        4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
        Bridgestone Spitfires
        Tuned by Tinman905
        & a will to keep it.

Comment

I believe Dyna coils are better. I thought the Mike'sXS coils looked cheap and anonymous, to be honest. The Dyna coils look to be a much better engineered, own-brand coil. Mine have run fine for several months now. (3 ohm green coils)
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to check with my local shop and see if he can order them for me. I'm moving to a system of spending a little more to support my local shop, I want the guy to stay in business. He's like 6 blocks from my house and has always given me good service on the things he can do for me. He knows I do my own wrenching, he only comment on that was, as long as you have a good torque wrench and know how to use it.

He's got a really cool battery and charging system monitoring system for about $50 that looks like a really nice fit for the standard gauge set. It's square and all, although it's digital. It's hot during cranking and all so it monitors both cranking voltage and charging voltage so that it keeps track of battery condition and is supposed to warn you of impending battery failure. Next time I go over there I'll get some pictures of it, I'm thinking about getting and installing one myself.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
            X