Special headlight on a standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special headlight on a standard?

Well, I broke the damn glass on my headlight and they're not easy to find. So i was thinking...will a Special headlight fit the ears on a Standard? And, what about the Special's adjuster bracket, will that fit the lower tree? Seems the special buckets are easier to find, so this conversion may be permanent.

Anyone ever done this? please chime in.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

im sure it you can make it work, but may require some Irish inginuity

im sure someone around on this site has an extra glass (Andreas???) for relatively little $$$....
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

I have a special headlight on my standard. I guess you could make the bucket work on the standard ears but don't know how well it would work. The adjustment bracket does not work for me, I am going to have to fab something up so that I can adjust it and so that it will stay in place. If you decide to use special ears they do need about a half inch cut off of the tubes because the tree to tree measurement on the standard is a little shorter.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
        im sure it you can make it work, but may require some Irish inginuity

im sure someone around on this site has an extra glass (Andreas???) for relatively little $$$....
        Nope, Andreas doesn't have.

Comment

I'm dealing with a special headlight on standard forks right now....

While I'm using special ears also, I looked at the alternatives. The bucket fits easily, you just need to use the rubber bushings from the standard. The adjuster bracket is another story; it will be easier IMO to just make one rather than try to mod the special part.

Give some thought to building an 'adaptor' so you can use a car-type square headlight. They're the same size, you just need a means of mounting it in the bucket. I think if you picked up a headlight bucket assembly from a boneyard (look at '80 GM products, maybe a S-10), cut the back out of it, then spot-welded or pop-riveted some brackets to it to mimic the OEM headlight, you could have a cheap, effective replacement...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/78-yamah...t-41862706.htm
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks for finding that, Nate. But, it's a very early sealed beam unit, and when it blows I'd never find another. I like the convenience of the separate H4 bulb in the later fixture.

Comment

Really? I can find the round sealed beam units at any auto parts store. About $11 each. Are the rectangle ones that much harder to find?
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

'Bug, the standard square headlights have the mounting brackets attached directly to the headlight shell; so there's no using anything off-the-shelf, it has to be a OEM headlight for a bolt-in...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Kinda figured you wouldnt want the sealed beam, but ya never know!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
                      im sure it you can make it work, but may require some Irish inginuity - - -
                      Hi Tom,
                      dunno about Irish Inginuity but here's a British Bodge:-
                      Use a longer bolt and a stack of washers each side to fill the gap between the Special headlight shell and the Standard ears.
                      Most likely need to cut up an old license plate to make the tilt piece.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The sealed beam "lens assy" for the 78 is still a good part number, 2H7-84320-60-00 $25 at the yam dealer if you need to go there. I have the headlamp from a 1980 honda cb1000 on my 78E (just don't like the square headlamp motif and the cb's was free).
                        Therefore I have the original headlamp, complete, off my bike less the mounting hardware I used for the replacement, but including the lower adjuster bracket. If you (or anyone else) wants it, all I want for it is the cost of shipping it to you.
                        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

I have a special lamp on my 78 with special ears no issues and I have a brand new laser cut lens too
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Special headlight on a standard

Hey Garth. When you put the special headlight and ears on a standard, did you have to modify the ears?

XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                              The sealed beam "lens assy" for the 78 is still a good part number, 2H7-84320-60-00 $25 at the yam dealer if you need to go there. I have the headlamp from a 1980 honda cb1000 on my 78E (just don't like the square headlamp motif and the cb's was free).
                              Therefore I have the original headlamp, complete, off my bike less the mounting hardware I used for the replacement, but including the lower adjuster bracket. If you (or anyone else) wants it, all I want for it is the cost of shipping it to you.
                              managermike, is your headlight the sealed beam type? If not, I'm intereted.

Comment

Working...
                              X