and no clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and no clutch

got my bike back together got it up and running and no clutch. anyone have any ideas of what to look into for a fix?
    1980 xs1100sg

What is it doing?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Make sure you follow the manual's instructions for adjusting the clutch. Adjust it on the engine end first, then adjust the freeplay at the grip.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

The clutch was very touchy on my LH. I adjusted it and didn't follow the directions quite right. There isn't much forgiveness between enough and too much. Make sure everything is seated properly and follow your manual on the adjust.
        '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Comment

what is it doing?

i went threw the adjustments and what its doing is its like its not even there slams right into gear
          1980 xs1100sg

Comment

Is it hard enough to kill the engine? Could you shift into first, pull the clutch lever, then start it? These bikes are known as having clunky transmission shifts.
            '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Comment

You may just need to separate the clutch disks. If they were allowed to dry out when it was apart, there was not enough oil between the disks to let them separate when you pull the lever. You can remove the right engine cover with the bike on the sidestand without needing to drain the oil. Take the clutch basket out and separate the disks, making sure they are coated in oil.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

If you had the clutch off the bike, you can accidentally put it back on 90 or 270 degrees off. If this were my bike, and I had taken the clutch off the bike, I would pull it again and put it back together again. I would also make sure the basket seated completely.

One other thing to consider... there is a concave washer that goes under the main clutch nut. If you have it backwards the clutch won't work right, and maybe not at all. The washer must be on there with the bow AWAY from the engine, so that it is cupping TOWARD the motor.

I hope there is something in this post that you find helpful.

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

the bike doesn't clonk out but i did it with the center stand up. i didnt try to start it in gear. i had the clutch apart and put it back together via the manual. i will look into the plates being dry and i was thinking it could of been the concave washer but im sure i installed it pushing out
                  1980 xs1100sg

Comment

As stated, these machines have very noisy gearboxes. Even with a new clutch set it will 'slam' into gear. If it doesn't stall the engine (which it is prone to do after sitting for the winter) and all else seems well, I would disregard it.
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

After mine has sat for a while, I have to bust the clutch loose. The first time this ever happened on a bike it freaked me out. I started the bike and every time I put it in gear, the motor would stop.

I sit on the bike , motor off, and start rolling it forward with the clutch lever pulled in. Once it's rollin' a little, just kick it down into first and keep the clutch lever in. You'll feel it break loose and roll freely. Then start yer scoot.

An old Brit bike rider taught me that one and I have thanked him many times in absentia. Of course none of this is applicable if the clutch is not assembled correctly. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                      X