Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wimpy starter

Greetings forum people,

this is my first post since finding this site. I discovered you guys while looking for tech tips for my 1980 Special. I've wanted one of these bikes sin the late 70's when growing up in El Paso and seeing the police riding them. This bike was a legend in those days.

I picked up my first one about two weeks ago for $700 and after another hundred got in on the road and looking pretty good.

It runs like a swiss watch except for the starter. With a fully charged battery or even hooked to my truck it slowly chuggs along until it finally starts the bike. It's 70 degrees outside now. I can only imagine that on colder fall days, this thing is going to tell me to call a cab.

All electrical is working strong and bright. Any way to make this starter more of a team player? Any diagnosis?

I am just north of you in Pewaukee!

Could be dirty/poor connections to the starter, check for voltage drop to the starter connection.

Could also be the batter is not good, might be able to hold a charge and run the bike but when you hit the starter it is too high of a load and it cant quite handle it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Pewaukee,

I checked the connections and all voltage good. Battery is a brand new Odyssey and fully charged. A friend suggested that I remove and clean the starter. I'm not sure what that entails.

Comment

Did you check the GROUND connections? All of them? Make sure they are corrosion-free, and dab them with some anti-sieze to prevent corrosion and encourage electron flow.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Make sure you actually HAVE the ground connection between the engine and the frame. I had the problem you describe and found I didn't have that. Things will pretty much work cause the engine will mostly ground through the exhaust system but it's not that good of a ground. The ground is a pretty thick wire that goes from the middle drive to the frame, a big black wire. If it's not there you will get just what you describe. If it's missing, you might need to run two or three of the thickest wire you can find in it's place to provide that ground, it goes to the ground screw on the frame right behind and above the middle drive, there will probably be the end of a wire hanging there if it's not connected.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

There are more ground connections on the body of the voltage regulator, so you may want to pull those off and clean them. They probably don't affect your starter as much as the big ground strap mentioned above, but I had problems there, and it's easy and free to fix.
            '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Certainly check grounds and connections, the starter relay itself was the culprit of similar concerns on mine when I first got it. Jump the large terminals on the relay, sparks will fly but if the starter sings like a bird, you've found your trouble.
              Any starter solenoid that fits will function as a relacement, the one now on mine fits a Ford as well.
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                There are more ground connections on the body of the voltage regulator, so you may want to pull those off and clean them. They probably don't affect your starter as much as the big ground strap mentioned above, but I had problems there, and it's easy and free to fix.
                They won't affect it at all as the charging system grounds do not supply any ground to the engine at all. The charging system is isolated from the engine barring a fault, in which case it must be replaced. The only ground (other than the incidental ground through the exhaust and/or the driveshaft and FD) is that ground wire/strap between the middle drive and the frame. There is no other ground supplied to the engine from the factory. The ignition again is a closed system, providing it's own isolated hot and ground for the spark plugs, independent of any others and doesn't supply any ground usable for any other purpose. However, managermike has a good point about the solenoid, as that too can cause the symptom, it being the other side of the starter circuit that can cause the bottleneck that can slow it down (other than a bad battery of course). So we have two simple things to check for, one a quick visual check, and two function checks and possible cleanings (jumping across the solenoid as one test and running a ground jumper from the engine to the frame as a second test). If either test makes it spin things fast, that test has bypassed the bad section and tells you what you need to fix.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X