Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent: Headlamp Failure Mid-Ride

Hello,

Writing this from my phone. In the middle of nowhere and my headlamp (hi and low) and my console lights have turned off. Assuming fuse problem. Also assuming there's a spare fuse on the bike, but can only see by phone-light. Any help on what might be wrong, where to find fuse, how to install would be great.

Help appreciated,
    Mendizale

Note: Lack of preparation will never happen again (I hope).
    1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special
    1969 (or '70 or '71) Triumph (Trophy or BSA) 250

The headlight fuse would be under the right side cover. There won't be a spare under normal stock situation, but you may be able to rig something, or it might just be loose if it's the stock fuse box and moving the fuse around might make it work. Otherwise you might have to try and find something foil like to bridge the fuse with until you get get somewhere to get a fuse. If you have the TC fusebox it has room for a couple of spare fuses, and I carry one of each as a spare in mine.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

hope you made it home ok...

I didn't see a follow up yet...

Sorry to hear you had such a catastrophic failure, but that was probably the most inopportune hence the time it would happen.

In my fork toolbag I used to carry a flashlight and chemlights.

Now without the bag I have the chemlights in my vests back pocket for emergency. $2 and always ready. Might also tape behing side cover - I duct taped fuses and zipties on one side of mine.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thanks for the response--any idea which fuse it would be?

Comment

i am not home to look

my memory is not sure - i need to see my bike and i am not home - not that that helps you 6 hours later

hope you got home safe.

john
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hi,

I finally got it sorted, just before my phone died. I did have a spare 20a fuse that I was able to pop in for the burnt out 10a. Now I need to get spares to replace them.

Really, thanks for your help! Also, while I'm on here, is this indicative of some kind of fault in the wiring, or do fuses just burn out from time to time? IE, should I simply get replacements this time and hope for the best, or should I inspect things in some way?

Mendi

Comment

Originally posted by Mendizale View Post
              Thanks for the response--any idea which fuse it would be?
              It's one of the 10A fuses. On mine, it's the one connected to the red/yellow wire.

If you haven't done it yet, I strongly suggest that you swap out the old fuse block for a modern, spade style block. TC sells a very nice setup for very cheap. All you add are the fuses. Here's a link to the thread.

Always keep extra fuses on the bike. I have an old altoids tin that I keep in my saddlebag, with a few of each size.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Anybody know if burnt fuse implies some kind of fault in the wiring, or do fuses just burn out from time to time? IE, should I simply get replacements this time and hope for the best, or should I inspect things in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by Mendizale View Post
                  Hi,

I finally got it sorted, just before my phone died. I did have a spare 20a fuse that I was able to pop in for the burnt out 10a. Now I need to get spares to replace them.

Really, thanks for your help! Also, while I'm on here, is this indicative of some kind of fault in the wiring, or do fuses just burn out from time to time? IE, should I simply get replacements this time and hope for the best, or should I inspect things in some way?

Mendi
                  If you have the original glass fuses, they will go bad just from the heat from the clips not holding tight anymore. You MUST either find replacement clips for the OEM box (someone found a source for clips that work so you CAN fix it up almost like new) or replace it with a more modern style box using blade type fuses, much less likely to have trouble, and most come with enough positions that you will have spare slots to carry extra fuses in just in case anyways. Even 22 years ago, my XS400 which shares pretty much the same fuse box, had trouble with fuses, and it was only like 5-6 years old then? Thats how poor quality the fuse boxes on these things are. For how good these bikes are for the most part, the fuse box is practically an afterthought.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                  X