Thanks everyone! Photo update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks everyone! Photo update

Thanks everyone for all your advice and assistance, Karla has worked very hard on her first street bike, a XJ11 with about 45k on the clock. She did 95% of the rebuild/maintenance, I just did the research, parts ordering, tool handing, etc.

Still some more tweaking to do, and possibly a valve adjustment, but she took it out this weekend under the tutelage of a good friend of mine as I was out of town. She has been riding dirt bikes since she was a kid and took the MSF basic last fall, so this isn't really "new" just new ish! She loves the bike, her only complaint is the clutch lever is hard to pull! (I'll look into it)

So, the day we brought it home in August:

And taking it to work for the first time this morning! Also the first time I've seen her ride it:

Not sure how to embed video here, so just a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Rbufzqo7E

So, thanks to everyone. I'll have some more questions I'm sure and we'll stick around no question there. Couldn't have gotten it this far without the help of folks here!
    Last edited by Smash; 05-23-2011, 09:09 AM.
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Tell Karla congrats on alot of hard work and patience, the reward is miles and miles of smiles!

There is an upgrade to hydraulic clutch if the cable is fine and it is just that much harder to pull.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks! I am going to look into the manual about the clutch cable. It operates just fine and she can manage it, it's just not going to be ANY fun on the commute!

Comment

Good job gettin' the scoot back on the road Karla! Glad to see you all got some time to put some road test mileage on that before any LD ride! Smash, I'm sure you both learned alot on top of the satisfaction of doing it yourself..........can be a big benefit should it decide to become "needy" on a LD ride! The more she rides it the less she will notice the stiffer clutch lever pull(conditioning).
        Last edited by motoman; 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thank you, I completely agree! Had Karla build her own tool kit based on mine and the tools she's used. It's probably overkill, but that's good. Also the usual plug kit and compressor as well as a few flares, zipties, yada yada. I've done probably way too many roadside repairs on my last two bikes ('82 C10 concours and '94 ST1100, but high mileage bikes) and even had to stop twice to fix glitches on my first LD ride on the ninja.

We're heading to my folks place in Albuquerque this weekend, probably 900-1,000 miles round trip. Will be a good test.

Just in the little plunking around I've done on the bike, I'm impressed with how comfy it is!

Comment

Absolutely Amazed would be an understatement for my occasionally rational mind on how that young lady can control that bike . Not cruising but controlling the weight , excuse the term, manhandling that thing when stationary. At 6 ft and 220+, at times I have to concentrate considerably more on the XJ compared to my SF. Sometimes I wish it had retractable training wheels. Stay Safe and enjoy.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Lol, she has plenty of experience manhandling old heavy dirt bikes where she can barely touch the ground! That makes the XJ, where she flatfoots, a relative piece of cake. Plus the fact that she is rather fit helps!! Heck she worked construction for a few years and has her associates in carpentry.

Comment

congrats

to you and Karla!

turned out great...

y'all be sure and join us for some of these rallys....

john
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey thanks! But all our available $ is going into a July trip to NC, looking at 3500 miles or so round trip, 95% 2 laners.

Comment

Very cool!!!

A job well done, congrats.

Clutch cables are cheep, do yourself a favor and put a new one on it.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Congrats!

Sounds like she just need to work on those hand muscles!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                        Very cool!!!

A job well done, congrats.

Clutch cables are cheep, do yourself a favor and put a new one on it.

Larry
                        Or at the very least, buy a new one, lube it, and string it along side of the old one with zip ties. A bit of heat shrink on the ends to keep the dirt out, and you don't have to worry about REALLY needing one halfway up Raton.

p.s. AND CHECK YOUR CAM CHAIN TENSIONER. CZ

Comment

HA! Thanks CZ. I would like to get that clutch atleast a little easier for her to pull with her small hands, it'll help her with her slow speed maneuvering. Will be calling around today to see if anyone has the right cable in stock as well as digging in the manual (pdf). I do not know how to change a clutch cable nor check my cam chain tensioner, but we're going to get to both before we leave (unless I can't find a cable locally).

Comment

Top photo of Karla has been added to the XS 11 Owner's Gallery page. Link is:

http://gallery.me.com/jerryfields#100115

Photos are in more-or-less alpha order by name or handle.

As usuall, if you have a photo you would like me to add, or wish to have an existing photo removed, let me know.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
                              HA! Thanks CZ. I would like to get that clutch atleast a little easier for her to pull with her small hands, it'll help her with her slow speed maneuvering. Will be calling around today to see if anyone has the right cable in stock as well as digging in the manual (pdf). I do not know how to change a clutch cable nor check my cam chain tensioner, but we're going to get to both before we leave (unless I can't find a cable locally).
                              One thing is to make sure it's well lubed with a good high quality cable lube and them make sure it's routed in such a manner to have as few bends and as mild bends as possible. This will make for the lightest possible pull. Mine was pretty tough, and I lubed the cable, and did just a little rerouting and it made a world of difference in how hard it was to pull in.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X