Windshield options - XJ11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield options - XJ11

Karla will need a shield for her XJ before we head to NC in July... Does anyone know if a universal fit handlebar mount shield can be used on the XJ? Would have to mount it up by the switches to get to the round bit of the handlebar as the universal won't work on the square bars from the tripple tree to the bend before the switches/mirrors.

Basically we can probably spend $100 or less... Does not need to be a big shield, Karla's only 5'6" and needs to look over it.

We can't buy yet, but I want to start looking. Any tips would be great! I'm studying photos online of universal handlebar mount shields to see if they might work. I unfortunately do not know anyone that has one that I could try out.
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Doing a lot of old thread reading too... Interesting stuff....

Comment

Nation Cycles Plexistar2 or the Plexifairing will both mount to the XJ bars as long as you purchase the adapter kit for square bars. Unfortunately, you're looking at around $150-200.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, even $100 is pushing it, given she's gonna probably need $400 or so just for GAS for our trip to NC in July.

Found this that Yahman did, might be a way to make a cheap universal handlebar mount fit.

Comment

I now have those adapters on my XJ. Thanks Larry!! They work great with my Plexistar3. I believe they are just a short piece bicycle handle bar with a washer welded at one end. The washer end goes "IN" and the original bolt holds it on. Plastic caps at the other and and that's it!
          Rob
          82 XJ1100
          Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
          Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

GREAT! Cause we just picked up a spitfire for $25 off CL!

Comment

I used a spitfire on my XJ and took a less hardware intensive approach to mounting it. I took off the cylindrical parts that hold the windshield stand offs to the clamps and bolted them directly to the handlebar uprights. There are holes on both sides, visible in your pic below your current mounting location, that you can access them from behind the cable covers to tighten them after you make your adjustments. I found this location to be lower and less obstructive.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Got a photo?

Comment

Sorry, no photo, bike is apart at the moment.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Alrighty thanks. We picked up a used bicycle handlebar for $5, so intend on going yahman's route.

Comment

Lexan vs. Plexi

I'm looking at replacing my windshield. While Lexan is relatively bulletproof, I'm told it is actually softer than plexi and likely to scratch more easily. Plexi on the other hand is harder but more brittle. Anybody have any thoughts or experience on this?
                      1980 XS 1100 Special
                      Mostly stock & original
                      Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                      Torpedo bags
                      New paint (still) pending
                      Stainless brake lines
                      Tkat forkbrace
                      Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                      1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                      1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

I put a National Cycle Street Screen on my XJ
                        http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...1982%20XJ1100/

Wish I had bought one like in the following link to shield my hands but I just wanted to look like there was no shield at all.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=ym-018

Comment

I had an old windshield that worked nicely on my XJ650J but was the kind that had the holes in the windshield & rubber mounts bolted to it to hold it in place on the "poles" . It cracked & was full of rock chips. I'm going to get a Plexistar 3 for summer driving because I really like keeping my hands out of the rain.

I bought a Windjammer 5 for the XJ11 which I'll put on when it gets colder, rehabbing it right now. Need to find a lower for my bike, have one correct model 54 for the left side but need a match for the right side...

I'm a fuddy duddy when it comes to windshields, the bigger coverage the better; I really hate running into June Bugs at 70 even if I do wear a full helmet.
                          82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Working...
                          X