Wobble again!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobble again!!!!

I decided to put my Vetter fairing and bags on my BDF Special. When I first acquired this bike I had no front end wobble even when the front tire pressure would drop. Now I get a wobble but only when I let off on the throttle and only around 70kph /43mph to 60kph/37mph. I can let go at any other time and no wobble.

Now I did nothing to the front end before installing the vetter fairing so this is a bit frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Never had a fairing, but it just seems logical to me that there would need to be some way to assure it is reasonable if not almost precisely aligned, and that may be off.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Did you're other bike not have the problem with the fairing on it? I found I had that problem with the dunlop d404 my bike came with on it (with the fairing and such), and it went away when I put the Kenda front tire on, but came back about a year later. I haven't checked to see yet if it went away with the new Conti Milestone tire I just had installed yesterday. I'm also wondering if it's a balance problem exaggerated by the weight of the fairing on the front forks. If it's gone, and comes back down the road, I might try gettting those balance beads and see if it makes it go away a makes it stay away.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Either upping the air pressure or spring preload may help. I've never had a Vetter fairing before but they look pretty heavy. Steering head bearing may be a tad too loose, JAT.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          Did you're other bike not have the problem with the fairing on it? I found I had that problem with the dunlop d404 my bike came with on it (with the fairing and such), and it went away when I put the Kenda front tire on, but came back about a year later. I haven't checked to see yet if it went away with the new Conti Milestone tire I just had installed yesterday. I'm also wondering if it's a balance problem exaggerated by the weight of the fairing on the front forks. If it's gone, and comes back down the road, I might try gettting those balance beads and see if it makes it go away a makes it stay away.
          I did have a slight wobble on the other bike but no way near as bad now. I have Metzlr's 880's on the other bike. I notice there would be more wobble when the rear tire pressure dropped .I have the rear at 40 and the front at 38 and it seems to be worse with the higher pressure.
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Either upping the air pressure or spring preload may help. I've never had a Vetter fairing before but they look pretty heavy. Steering head bearing may be a tad too loose, JAT.
            I was thinking the same about the steering head bearings and that's what I will be looking at in the morning.
            I don't like the higher pressure on the front tire and will be dropping that back down to around 30/32pounds.
            BDF Special

Comment

Tires models can have a big effect.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance (no better word I can think of).
                What is a
                BDF Special
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Correct tire pressure is based on the max tire pressure for the max tire load and the load that the tire is carrying as a percentage of the max load. So, if your carrying close to the load the tire is rated for on the tire, you should be close to the tires max pressure. Very few modern tires will ride properly at the manual recommended pressures which are based on the tires the bike shipped with. Tire design has changed significantly and pressures have risen a lot, and adding a fairing to the front requires increasing the pressure above the level you would run without the fairing as well.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                    Excuse my ignorance (no better word I can think of).
                    What is a
                    BDF = Big Daddy Funk, a member here that did alot of work on that bike.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      BDF = Big Daddy Funk, a member here that did alot of work on that bike.
                      Big Daddy Funk built this bike and I am just adding my personal touches to it. I was lucky enough to be the one who bought it from him last fall.
                      BDF Special

Comment

Working...
                      X