rewiring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rewiring Help

I have a 1980 special that I got from my brother. It sat for about five years I put in a new battery to see if I could get any power and nothing happened. After checking and rechecking the fuses to make sure nothing was bad I am thinking I need to look into some new wiring. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

thank Joe

If it sat OUTSIDE, then it's probably eaten up with corrosion in all of the contacts/joints! Start at the main key switch, you can take it apart and clean.

I think the 80 had a separate MAIN fuse on the left side under the cover and that could also be bad! You say you checked the fuses...HOW? Did you take them out of the holders, check with a METER, or just eyeball them?? They also corrode, and can look good but be bad. Also the clips on the fuseblock get corroded, weak, etc., most folks replace it with one that holds the solid ATCO style fuses...see tech tips, or Parts For Sale forum sticky thread about from members for info on fuseblock.

Also, check GROUND at battery to frame, also grounding strap engine to frame behind starter below carbs....remove, clean, reinstall! Also separate every electrical connector, inspect, clean with contact cleaner, apply dielectric grease and reconnect. This will go a long way in eliminating those electrical gremlins!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm with TC on all the above. No power at all is serious. What happens when you short across the solenoid?

I got rid of the inline 30A fuse on the left side of the bike. Put in an blade fuse and holder and moved it to the right side of the bike. TC's fuse box is a must IMHO. Easy to do and a nice upgrade.

If you put a meter on the wiring and find you have power to the harness anywhere then you should be able to start cleaning connectors and switches.

You'll want to clean the handlebar switches especially on the right with the kill switch and the ground that touches the handlebars.

You're going to end up cleaning all the grounds and connectors so may as well do them now.

Good luck, it will be worth all the work.
      Bothell, WA
      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
      X