X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Idle Needle "Tool"

It's in quotes for a good reason.
    This is what I made.

Looks functional enough but can't turn the bolts when it's in place. Do I really have to take the butterfly out?

I'm close to trying a sledge hammer. (Where's the "Hair Pulling" smilie. And why would it be called a smilie

I WANNA RIDE!!!!
    1979 XS1100F

How about prying under the bottom nut with a screwdriver to push the bolt up. Should have the same effect as turning the bolt? Careful not to ding up the aluminum bottom too much though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'll give that a shot but it's almost as though I need three hands and I've only got one and a half right now. (No wonder apes are aren't technological. A working opposible thumb really comes in handy)

As far as scuffing up the walls...already done...a bit. What problems does this cause? Screw up the airflow? And if so can this not be adjusted with the idle screw? (Assuming I actually get to that stage

Thanks
      Bob
      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
        As far as scuffing up the walls...already done...a bit. What problems does this cause? Screw up the airflow? And if so can this not be adjusted with the idle screw? (Assuming I actually get to that stage
        I don't think it would matter much, a few dings and all. On a set of my carbs, I had to drill out 2 of the mixture screws and while doing so, ended up making the holes a bit larger than the normal size. Long story short, the bike runs fine, it was just a little more sensitive tuning the mixture. You'll be OK, don't worry.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

So a little prying and now the needle is nicely flush with the wall. I was hoping that would be all it needed to pop it free.

I can barely make out it's position and I'm glad my neighbour has my sledge. Nah, actually if it's moved that little bit I'll try some toxic fluid soaking again and maybe try the freezer thing again.

It's supposed to rain all weekend anyways.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

dental pick

can you try an angled dental pick and wedge it down into hole to push it out? wedge against a piece of wood.

john
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'll head down to the hardware store and see what I can find there.
              My dentist is closed right now
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Yup, it is time for the picks.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

took me like 40 push pins prying with a flat head.. and maybe 2 hours of the 90 degree mechanic pic using the handle oh a hammer to pry... just be patient Jedi you'll get it sooner or later...good luck
                  _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                  1980 gs1000g "stock"
                  1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                  2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Patience is not one of my virtues. However I must say, it has definately been improving

And as others have said here, this really is a great forum, with lots of great people and help.

Without this forum, I probably would never have taken the bike apart in the first place and riden it as is. And that would probably not have been a good thing.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Forex, somewhere in this forum is a thread where I show pictures of a tool a friend made so I could remove 3 of my 4 needle tips. It is very similar to yours, just has drill bits cut to size to push the tips out. It took a couple of minutes to take all 3 out after I had spent hours trying everything adviced here and some more.
                      Unfortunately I don't know how to retrieve it. Maybe some of the other guys can do that for you.
                      Good luck
                      79 XS1100F.
                      SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                      TC's fuse box.
                      SOFA filter.
                      Venture cam chain adjuster.
                      Tkat fork brace.
                      Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Tropic-al - here's a copy of your earlier post:

"Fireplug, don't feel bad. There's a bunch of real good mechanics and shade tree ones too, that have been in this predicament. While doing my carbs I managed to break 3 out of the 4 tips in the carb throat. After trying all the options adviced to by the friends at this forum I could not get them out.
                        Finally, I gave up and called my friend who I knew would figure out a way.
                        Sure enough, here's what he came up with.
                        He found small drill bits the same measurement as the hole where the needle was in. I believe around .024in. He cut a bolt to size and drilled a hole in the head to fit the bit in, rounded the hex out of the bolt somewhat and matched an acorn nut to fit.

He cut 2 sizes in lenght of the bits and started with the short one to press it out. When it topped out he changed to the longer one and VOILA !!"
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by forexbob View Post
                          I'll head down to the hardware store and see what I can find there.
                          My dentist is closed right now
                          For what it's worth, you can usually find dental picks at grocery, drug, or pet supply stores.
                          1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special
                          1969 (or '70 or '71) Triumph (Trophy or BSA) 250

Comment

Working...
                          X