Beginning of a saddlebag- er, BOX- mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning of a saddlebag- er, BOX- mod

First off, a bit of backstory is needed. When I bought my bike, the PO had it decked out as a full bagger- fairing, saddlebags, trunk, etc. Now, many here would like that sort of thing. I, however, don't. I sold the trunk, fairing, and rack, and soon was left with nothing but the saddlebags.

Here's where I hit my problem. You see, I LOVED the convenience of the hard bags, but hated how they looked. Between the bags and the chrome bar around the outside, combined with the lack of anything up front, my poor bike looked like a skinny chick with WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much junk in the trunk.

I rode it as it was, but was forever keeping an eye out for a way to slim the bike down, without losing valuable storage space. Then I found these:

I've always thought ammo cans were a snazzy idea, I just couldn't find any of comparable size to the ones I had on there already. Then I found these. They're about an inch narrower than the hard bags (probably about 2 or 3 inches narrower once you lose the outer bar as well), but are a few inches taller. I think I ended up with MORE space in these than I have in the old ones.

I still need to find a good way to mount them on the bit of mounting hardware I have left (these suckers are HEAVY!), and I plan on repainting the whole bike to blend them in (something to reflect my Dumb Polack heritage, perhaps...), once I get the money. There's also a bit of work needed to make them work- the rear blinkers interfere with the rear latch, and certain positioning makes the passenger's legs uncomfortable has he#l, but it's nothing I can't easily solve. Hopefully it should work out fine.

In other news... anybody want a pair of hard, somewhat badly repainted hard bags and outer chrome bars?
    Currently XS-less.

I have a set just like that, that I am going to use. I plant to make a cradle (for lack of a better term) that they sit down in, with a piece of rod running through the slot the runs diagonal alp.g the side. I plan to bolt them onto the same holes as the luggage rack bolts too now and then have a speaker bar across the back. Probably later on I will cut holes in the back and put tail, turn, and brake lights in there with quick disconnect.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have the same set of bags you have and got use to the storage, really liked the convenience of being able to go pick up an 18 pack and a bag of charcoal with the bike. But... got tired of the look and wanted something something that could be removable. I ended up taking my bags off and haven't put them back on. Your onto something nice with the amo boxes... as long as you don't have plans on touring 2 up then comfort for a passenger isn't really important. You could make them easily removable for short 2 up rides.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Move them back further and flip them 180 deg do the latch is in the front instead of the back. That gets it away from the turn signals so that you can get to almost zero clearance and since they are waterproof it won't matter that the latch faces forward. I doubt it would look bad, and would be more functional and would by moving them back a bit further make for less pain for the pillion as well.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          Move them back further and flip them 180 deg do the latch is in the front instead of the back. That gets it away from the turn signals so that you can get to almost zero clearance and since they are waterproof it won't matter that the latch faces forward. I doubt it would look bad, and would be more functional and would by moving them back a bit further make for less pain for the pillion as well.
          Both the front and the back have identical latches.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Very cool! Brings back to many memories of my time as an Assitant M60 Gunner and carrying those heavy bloody ammo cans full. And I am pretty sure I have that same boom box!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien Harpress View Post
              First off, a bit of backstory is needed. When I bought my bike, the PO had it decked out as a full bagger- fairing, saddlebags, trunk, etc. Now, many here would like that sort of thing. I, however, don't. I sold the trunk, fairing, and rack, and soon was left with nothing but the saddlebags.

Here's where I hit my problem. You see, I LOVED the convenience of the hard bags, but hated how they looked. Between the bags and the chrome bar around the outside, combined with the lack of anything up front, my poor bike looked like a skinny chick with WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much junk in the trunk.

I rode it as it was, but was forever keeping an eye out for a way to slim the bike down, without losing valuable storage space. Then I found these:

I've always thought ammo cans were a snazzy idea, I just couldn't find any of comparable size to the ones I had on there already. Then I found these. They're about an inch narrower than the hard bags (probably about 2 or 3 inches narrower once you lose the outer bar as well), but are a few inches taller. I think I ended up with MORE space in these than I have in the old ones.

I still need to find a good way to mount them on the bit of mounting hardware I have left (these suckers are HEAVY!), and I plan on repainting the whole bike to blend them in (something to reflect my Dumb Polack heritage, perhaps...), once I get the money. There's also a bit of work needed to make them work- the rear blinkers interfere with the rear latch, and certain positioning makes the passenger's legs uncomfortable has he#l, but it's nothing I can't easily solve. Hopefully it should work out fine.

In other news... anybody want a pair of hard, somewhat badly repainted hard bags and outer chrome bars?
              I would be interested?
              What model Standard is that? Is it a G? I have a H and want a seat just like yours to replace my touring seat
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Both the front and the back have identical latches.
                Yup, there's latches on both sides. I've narrowed my options to either cutting a small notch out of the rear latches, or trimming down the rear blinker bar to move the blinkers closer in. Gotta be careful, though, because one I cut it, there's no going back!

I've been toying with the idea of welding a couple of small metal loops on the outside of the boxes. That way I could put stuff on the passenger seat and bungee it down to the boxes.

I can see the funnest part being when I have to line up the boxes, both with the bike, and each other... We'll see. Hopefully it won't take too long. Here in Michigan, you don't get too many good riding days as it is!
                Currently XS-less.

Comment

Hey Lucien,

Those are some pretty big bags!! I made my own saddle bags from some premade BOXES of a different style, and came up with a quick release setup to allow me to remove them. I also made a custom mounting bracket and extended it beyond the bags ends to mount the signal stalks on. You have an extension of the frame down low with the trailer hitch, and if you were going to keep that, then you could relocate the signals down lower to clear the bags latches..just a thought!

See this OLD thread for photos and perhaps some inspiration??
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=diamond+plate

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X