THANKS GUYS - She's BEASTLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THANKS GUYS - She's BEASTLY!

You guys are the best. I took the carbs apart and rejetted (45 pilots and 140 mains). I put her all together and turned on the gas, when no more gas was going through the filters I hesitated for fear of being disappointed that she wouldn't fire up - BUT! One crank and VROOOOM! Choke off in 15 seconds, revved great. Took her for a spin up and down the driveway and WOW! I can't rider 'er much because I have no filters on right now (pods on the way), but THANKS TO YOU GUYS- Success!!

OK, one issue though, I can't get the throttle cable short enough. Even with the idle speed all the way down and the throttle cable adjustment all the way in, there is no free play in the throttle movement and she idles at about 2,500 rpm when warmed up. The throttle cable was fine before I took her apart. I did have to do some fancy routing because I also changed the bars to shorter ones, but I only have about three bends total and they're very mild. Any suggestions?

PS I'm going to have my son post a pic. I'm thinking I'll call her "Beastly". Your thoughts?
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

sounds great

Beastly sounds apropos...

Did you by chance bend anything when taking on/off? I might check for hidden kink somewhere...

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

What PODS did you go with ...Stay away from emgo junk
      1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

I went with Uni pods because Mikes XS is out of pods until the end of August. If she runs with the pods the way it does without them, I'm golden.
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

I am guessing you don't quite have throttle cable seated down in the holder right above where it connects to the carb.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            I am guessing you don't quite have throttle cable seated down in the holder right above where it connects to the carb.
            Thank you, I checked, double checked and triple checked that - it's good. I wonder if rerouting the cable did it. There are no tight bends, but there is probably one or two extra. The adjuster is all the way in by the throttle too. I'm puzzled, but nothing is taking my happiness away from how good she runs

Comment

Did you try to turn down the idle speed? Normal idle should be 1100... I bet the clack at 2500 sounds terrible!
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

How did you synch your carbs? One carb out of synch can drag all the others up with it.

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                  How did you synch your carbs? One carb out of synch can drag all the others up with it.

Patrick
                  Uh....Ummmm....Uh... I didn't really synch the carbs

Comment

Sorry I had to put a pic in this thread too

Comment

You might want to consider a synch job. I think you will be very surprised at how much better your beast can run. It really makes a difference.

Patrick
                      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                      1969 Yamaha DT1B
                      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

You're right Patrick. Hopefully that's the cause of the high idle too.

Comment

Nice looking scoot!
                          US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                          1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                          1985 Super Glide
                          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Looks awesome!! Definitely synch and tune, but probably need to wait till you get the pods on, or have fun repeating when tey do get on, it will change enough to need to re synch and maybe retune.

Try pulling the throttle cable out and gently curving it under the tank and right to the carbs. See it that cure the throttle issue as well as the idle speed. It may surprise you how little twist it can take to pinch the cable and keep it from fully returning.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I will try that tomorrow, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X