Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line replacement

4W1-25873-00-00

I'm replacing the rubber hoses with SS braid lines on the XJ11 brakes. Using this parts page as a guide http://tinyurl.com/65duhwv I have replaced the right front hose #10

I now need to do the left side. Part #11 is next to do but I don't know if part #20 and #23 which comes from the front junction box need to be replaced or if they are tube metal and not of rubber construction, Part 22 looks to be hose which I'll replace with SS braid line..

On this page http://tinyurl.com/3gm2xfc I'll be replacing #31 with stainless braid hose.

I have no leaks anywhere.

Do parts 20 & 23 customarily get replaced?

Thanks
    Last edited by KA1J; 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

You can buy a complete set of lines from Chacal on XJbikes.com (see link in my signature). However, I can tell you that the metal line is usually fine, as long as it is still in good condition. I left mine when I upgraded to SS lines.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I'm having a set of braided S/S lines made locally and its a bit cheaper than anywhere else i've found. Once done will do a writeup on

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still not sure if parts 20 & 23 as listed above are considered pipes or hoses. If they're hoses then they'll need to be replaced but if they're pipes, I'd rather leave them alone. #20 has what looks to be a spring around it...

I just dunno...
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
          Thanks for the replies,

I'm still not sure if parts 20 & 23 as listed above are considered pipes or hoses. If they're hoses then they'll need to be replaced but if they're pipes, I'd rather leave them alone. #20 has what looks to be a spring around it...

I just dunno...
          There is only one hard pipe. The rest are hoses. That one piece has a springy coil around it to protect it from getting scuffed by the forks. The replacement SS lines don't come with the coil because they are tougher and can handle the scuffing.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks Bug, thats what I needed to find out. Good to know that's a hose under the coiled spring. I'll have to get that off as well then. Ugh... I was hoping that #20 was metal & something I could let slide.

Bit by bit it's coming together. Sloooowly...

Comment

Working...
            X