A/F screw setting, XJ11 at 5300 feet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/F screw setting, XJ11 at 5300 feet?

Any have any clue the best A/F screw setting for an XJ11 at 8300 feet? Or, the best place to find this information? They are set right now at 3 turns out, getting some back firing but not bad.
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Each cylinder in each bike is different. Use a colortune plug to check each cylinder. 1/32 of a turn makes a difference. You can always tune by ear, or just check the plug color and adjust over time.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Just trying to get a general bearing of what has worked for others up here.

Comment

What I'm trying to say is that there is no "general" setting. Start with 2.5 turns out and adjust from there.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Sounds good. Carb sync is in order first. THANKS!

Comment

I live at 7,000 feet, and have my 80 Special set at 1.5 turns on the pilot screws. Don't know if that translates into anything helpful for you or not.

I run 107.5 mains as well, down one size from stock (110). Runs very well!
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

That does help! Running stock jets here though. Will just get to tweaking after I can sort out a carb sync. Thanks!

Comment

My instinct tells me that going up or down one main jet size would not make much difference in the pilot screw settings. The main jets don't come on line until 4200 rpm or something close to that, based on what I've read.

That simply means you can probably start on the leaner side of things like I have done with my pilot screws, and be closer than if you started out with them at 3 or 4 turns.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                X