Proud New Owner- Intro and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud New Owner- Intro and Questions

Hey folks. Just bought a new bike on tuesday! 1980 XS1100 "Eleven Special." Only $650. New tires, battery, headlight, only 16,500 miles. I think i got a pretty sweet deal. Anyhow, i am what you'd call "new to motorcycles." I know this bike is a little ambitious for a new owner, but after taking it for a spin around the apartment complex I feel comfortable enough to not regret the purchace. After doing quite a bit of reading on here I quickly gained the confidence to do a carb rebuild this past weekend. Went off without a hitch, thanks to the valuable info on here. Next up is to get them synced up. And a brake rebuild. Already signed up for the safety course, thats gonna happen weekend after next. She is a bit of a finicky starter, but once i get it goin, it runs like a dream. Any advice on some tuneup procedures I should undertake besides what I got going already? Any weak spots about these bikes I should watch for? Anything obvious I am overlooking? Thanks in advance for the replies fellas. Here are some pics in trade for the help.
    Aaron

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/171cy.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/176ga.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/174rr.jpg/
    Last edited by TopCatGr58; 05-17-2011, 08:40 PM. Reason: fix pix links
    1980 XS1100 SG Stock

hi and welcome

you lucky bas,, sorry typo,,what a great find Aaron, take the course,, don't ride above your skill level please! and ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Congratulations

Aaron:

Congratulations on the new "old" bike. Looks like it will polish up nice.
      Lots of great tips on this site. If you have a specific concern you can type in a key word on the "Search" task. Lots can be learned on these great old bikes. Sounds like you have a good running bike without any major issues. The first thing I would recommend is a shop manual. I have both a Clymers and a Yamaha Shop manual. Not that I am endorsing E-bay, but parts can be found there (although sometimes over-priced). Parts can also sometimes be obtained on this web-site.

As far as riding goes . . . start out slow and never overestimate your abilities. The XS1100 is a big, fast and heavy bike. The most dangerous place for a motorcycle, in my opinion, is any intersection. It you ride with the mindset, that most of the time you are invisible to the general motoring public, you remember that you can't drive too defensively. I have ridden for a fair number of years and have had my share of close calls, but the joy of riding still makes it wothwhile! There are not many bikes that have stood the test of time like the 1100.

Have fun and ride safe!
      1979 F
      Mac 4-2 Exhaust
      T-Kat Fork Brace
      Spade Fuse Box Mod
      Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      140.0 Main Jets
      45.0 Pilot Jets
      266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Welcome aboard, congrats on your new bike. As for hard starting, did you make sure the small passageway in the bottom of the carb bowls is clear? Those passages are for the enrichment circuit (choke).
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah, Phil, I followed the "carb cleaning 101" post any was more than meticulous. Those things are clean as can be. They were in suprisingly great shape to begin with really. I did have to replace the O-rings on the needle seats though. The more i read on here, the more excited I get. It seems I have bought a bike I can really be proud of. Im gonna paint it here pretty shortly as well. Any particular paint scheme that looks great on these things? I'm kinda partial to two-tone, if there are any cool stock two-tone schemes I'd love to see them.
          1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

Greetings, and welcome. Congratulations on a very nice find.
            XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
            -- Jack Burton

Comment

where in texas?

I keep hoping for more Central Texas representation....

Congrats on the bike - I too have the 80 Special (with a few changes) as my main ride...

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'd say you got one heck of a bargain!! That is a sweat looking lady you have there!!!

Definitely take the riding course and listen well. And also, once they finish the course, go back and practice the same manauvers on your XS11 on their course if you can. It will definitely help you!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

I do plan to do copy the class on my own bike. I even live behind the giant parking lot they hold the class on. So i have plenty of room to practice. And hey J.W. I'm in the DFW area, not quite Central texas. But always good to see fellow Texans.
                  1980 XS1100 SG Stock

Comment

Hey Aaron, that's fantastic. I'm in the same boat--I got my bike a couple of weeks ago (the first I've owned) and I've been barely able to contain my glee. All I can think about is riding my XS, and I just know the glee is going to bust out and annoy all my friends. I need to clean/synch valves/carbs, but havent been ambitious enough yet. New XS=bad time to work on graduate thesis...

Two-tone would be awesome--make it look like a martini!

Mendizale
                    1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special
                    1969 (or '70 or '71) Triumph (Trophy or BSA) 250

Comment

That's a fine machine ya got there. Can you say, "Excessive?" You got one of the first superbikes to tool around on now. Take good care of it and you'll be rockin' it for a loooong time.

The best advice I heard about riding a motorsickle is this:

Until you make eye contact with a driver, assume they haven't seen you and WILL pull out in front of you.

When you do make eye contact with the cage driver, assume they hate you and will TRY to hit you.

I think about this a lot while I'm riding. I ride like I'm invisible and nobody has any idea that I'm there. I pretty much remind myself that I can die every time that I swing my leg over the fender.

Then I go have a blast!

P.S. I have ridden a motorbike almost every day since 1976 and I'm still learning how. Enjoy countersteering...

Comment

Hard starting

If you haven't already, get a new set of properly gapped plugs and sync the carbs, make sure the air filter is clean and charge up your battery.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

new owner

thats me also a new owner i bought one for 650 and will have about 2000 before next week in it...it hasnt gave me the rush of ownership yet it had 20000 miles on it and when i made it daily rider it went down now new top end and carbs and we will see hope it makes me a good one for the next 10 yrs at least...can you say wiseco 1179....but if you find any pistons of any size buy them and put them up they are hard to find...stock.oversized or even bigbore...eventually you will need them
                          gump from NC
                          windjammer gump
                          bikes now own
                          1981xs1100sh special
                          1971 cb 350
                          mini chopper project
                          bikes use to own
                          1978 750/four..
                          1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Shacknasty View Post
                            Until you make eye contact with a driver, assume they haven't seen you and WILL pull out in front of you.

When you do make eye contact with the cage driver, assume they hate you and will TRY to hit you.

Very sound advice.
                            XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                            -- Jack Burton

Comment

another Dallas-ite

darn the luck - nobody joining up in the Alamo City...

Well there are plenty of folks there and across the Red River (OK seems to have more than their fair share of XSives) for you to pick on...

You still have time to plan on the MOM Rally in Austin weekend of June 11-13. (See Rallies Forum for details)

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X