What kit to use for rebuilding carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kit to use for rebuilding carbs

What kit do you fellas use to rebuild carbs for an XS1100E?

Hey there,

Many of us do NOT use kits, because unless the gaskets are damaged, or you have the 80-81 series with the rubber O-ring float valve seat seal and viton/rubber tipped valve needles, they aren't really needed. The other parts can just be soaked and cleaned in carb cleaner and reinstalled.

However, if you are doing some intake and exhaust mods at the same time, then you may want/need to rejet, and then you can acquire some kits to get new gaskets, float valve needles and seats and seals, as well as jets.

The earlier 78-79 carbs, the pilot jet idle screws on the top front are easily bent, stuck, and or broken off in the carbs from tightening too tight, and so those can be acquired in kits as well.

GeorgeFix on Ebay has been a good/reputable source for kits, and can provide other than stock sized jets for the asking.

Other sources for reduced items kits are www.partsnmore.com as well as
    www.z1enterprises.com for full kits.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

For the 78-79 E models, you can't beat a full carb kit from Georgefix. The earlier carbs don't have the rubber-tipped float valves, by the way, and have brass floats.

I bought four kjits from Georfix and they're excellent because everything you need is there. Many kits don't supply everything you need.

I'd also check your diaphragms whilst you're at it. And I would replcae the float bowl screws and the carb lid screws with stainless allen bolts.

I used the Georgefix kits and renewed the diaphragms. The bike immediately felt like a different machine.... all irritaing misfires and coughs disappeared, smoother running, better starting....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
      X