Um, I may be a dumbell. Small oil filter O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, I may be a dumbell. Small oil filter O-ring

Hi guys, I did an oil change last week and figured I had one thing off my mind. Then I happened across a thread that pointed out that there's a small o-ring that goes on the big bolt. I don't remember seeing it and I know for a fact I didn't change it or put one in. Should I drain the oil and check or is this o-ring not a big deal. I have a feeling I'm going to end up draining it to check.
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

If it ain't leakin, it's probably in there.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

It's ok. It's an easy one to miss. Just remember for the next time, and you'll be fine. It should have been in the box with the filter and the large o-ring.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

+1 on if it ain't leaking it's fine. I changed mine 1 time in 4 oil changes, it's the only time I even got a replacement with the filter, the rest of them didn't even have the small o-ring included. In all the years I've had my XS400 I've never changed the small o-ring on it, and it's never leaked there even a tiny bit. Got 50,000 miles on it now, still has the original o-ring in there, although I will probably put a new one in there when I rebuild the engine.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks alot guys, you saved me from changing fresh oil. So the function of the small o-ring is just to keep it leaking from where the bolt goes through the oil filter cover??
          '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
            Thanks alot guys, you saved me from changing fresh oil. So the function of the small o-ring is just to keep it leaking from where the bolt goes through the oil filter cover??
            That is correct.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X