Larger front wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger front wheel?

I'm curious if anyone has put a larger front wheel on these bikes? I would love to put a 21" on the front. I know there would need to be changes to the fender, anything else I may be missing?

Would also love to trade someone my 17" rear for a 16" rear.

Thanks!
    1979 XS 1100F
    Daily Rider
    DIY'r
    Minneapolis,mn

Originally posted by mrdigitech View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has put a larger front wheel on these bikes? I would love to put a 21" on the front. I know there would need to be changes to the fender, anything else I may be missing?
    Would also love to trade someone my 17" rear for a 16" rear.
    Thanks!
    Hi Digi,
    scrounge up an XS650 wire wheel and lace a 21" rim onto the hub. The stock fender won't look right even if you do move it up because the blade radius won't match the 21" tire diameter. Perhaps use a generic dirt bike fender?
    Also the stock fender acts as a fork brace so the replacement fender support had best be effin' sturdy.
    And although the speedo drive will work the bigger front wheel will make it run slow.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

There's actually very little difference in overall diameter between a 19" and 21" wheel once a tire has been fitted. Harley has offered models with the 21" front wheel for years, and they have all used the same fender and speedo drive as the bikes with the 19" wheel.

But the bigger question is, why would you want to? It can only be for 'poser points', as the smaller front tire will have a detrimental effect on handling. I could tell you numerous horror stories about 21" front-wheel-equipped bikes going down in only moderate cornering situations when the front tire washed out. These have too small a footprint IMO, and I consider them flat-out dangerous for anything but the most sedate riding...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

want..

I started out wanting laced wheels. Then thought well if I'm changing my whole front wheel maybe I'll go with a 21" for appearance (is that what you mean my 'poser points'?) to give it a little more of a chopper look without dealing with extending forks and all that jazz. I know it would not make a huge difference but if I'm wanting laced wheels then why not...

Good information regarding handling and cornering, thanks!
        1979 XS 1100F
        Daily Rider
        DIY'r
        Minneapolis,mn

Comment

I fully understand the desire for laced wheels; to me, a motorcycle just doesn't look right with mag-type wheels, particularly if you're looking for a 'chopper' ambience. That's one of the reasons IMO the XS never looks 'right' when it's chopped, but that's my personal opinion.

But the tradeoffs for a 21" front just aren't worth it IMO. Even Harley has finally quit offering bikes with the 21" front, due to handling/safety concerns. I've personally witnessed 3 wrecks when the front tire washed out, and am aware of many, many more. On a heavy bike like the XS that has less than optimal handling to start with, and marginal brakes, you'll be degrading both by a large amount with this swap.

Not saying it can't be done, but be aware of how much it will reduce the bikes' capabilities.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

If your interested in a 16" rear wheel, send me a PM, I have one I do not plan to use.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by mrdigitech View Post
              I started out wanting laced wheels. Then thought well if I'm changing my whole front wheel maybe I'll go with a 21" for appearance (is that what you mean my 'poser points'?) to give it a little more of a chopper look without dealing with extending forks and all that jazz. I know it would not make a huge difference but if I'm wanting laced wheels then why not...

Good information regarding handling and cornering, thanks!
              Hi Digi,
              if you just want a wire front, a wire wheel from an XS650 plugs straight in. IMHO the neatest looking one is the mid-1970s deep groove aluminum rimmed wheel. You'll need to swap it's 2-piece brake disk for XS11 disks because the 2-piece disks have a different dish depth so won't line up with the brake caliper.
              Steve, my mathbox sez that theoretically a 19" rim with a 100/90 tire has a 26.09" OD while a 21" rim with a 90/90 tire has a 27.38" OD.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                ...Steve, my mathbox sez that theoretically a 19" rim with a 100/90 tire has a 26.09" OD while a 21" rim with a 90/90 tire has a 27.38" OD.
                Still plenty of room; you can fit a 110/90-19 tire to the XS, and that's about the same as the largest available 21" street tire. It will depend on what type/brand you buy, as these can run as small as about 26.5" in diameter.

But even the largest 21" tire is only about 3" wide (compared to 5" for a typical 19" tire), and the loss of contact patch size is a very real concern. Not to mention the loss in load rating...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

sounds like the best of both worlds

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  a wire wheel from an XS650 plugs straight in. IMHO the neatest looking one is the mid-1970s deep groove aluminum rimmed wheel. You'll need to swap it's 2-piece brake disk for XS11 disks because the 2-piece disks have a different dish depth so won't line up with the brake caliper.
                  You get the wire look with genuine Yamaha parts, and maintain the wider front tire.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    I fully understand the desire for laced wheels; to me, a motorcycle just doesn't look right with mag-type wheels, particularly if you're looking for a 'chopper' ambience. That's one of the reasons IMO the XS never looks 'right' when it's chopped, but that's my personal opinion.

But the tradeoffs for a 21" front just aren't worth it IMO. Even Harley has finally quit offering bikes with the 21" front, due to handling/safety concerns. I've personally witnessed 3 wrecks when the front tire washed out, and am aware of many, many more. On a heavy bike like the XS that has less than optimal handling to start with, and marginal brakes, you'll be degrading both by a large amount with this swap.

Not saying it can't be done, but be aware of how much it will reduce the bikes' capabilities.
                    When did harley stop offer the 21" front wheel as my buddies '8 softail has one on it.
                    '79 XS11SF

Comment

Who really cares?
                      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                      X