Where do you shift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you shift?

Hello! I am new to xs1100's but dreamed of riding one my whole life. My first bike was a 1982 Honda GL500 great bike and I hated to see it go but money and a worn but true 1980xs1100 beckoned. My Honda liked to shift at about 6000rpm and I like to ride somewhat aggressively, but with all the power and a 8500 red-line of the 1100; I'm not sure if 6000 is high, low or spot on? What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Francis Livingston
    Thanks,
    Francis Livingston

Depends on how i'm riding but usually 5k and above till speed or beyond.

Comment

I have learned that each bike has a varying sweet spot. My V45's was either 4,300 or oh ****!. my VN750 likes 4,800 or maybe a tad higher and this yami likes either wha,wha wha or WHHAAAAAAA...I need a tac

Comment

I have never looked at the taco when under hard power on, too busy making sure the way is clear. So cant tell you the rev point.
        But what I do, is listen to the motor.
        When it starts to sound a bit too busy, I select the next gear.
        I know that 100mph comes up rapidly.
        Listen to you bike, til will tell you when its ready to take another breath.
        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
        1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
        In stock untouched contion.
        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
        1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
        Mikes XS coils
        Jardine 4-1
        Pod filters
        Harley Davidson Rear Fender
        Bullet signal lights
        Twin 75mm headlights
        Self made single seat

Comment

I found it to be at just over 4,000rpm. This changed when I fitted the XS750 FD (subject of much discussion here).

I think 6,000rpm is on the high side on your bike. I wouldn't be doing that on a regular basis. More like 5k max. Compared to other Xsives, I'm a bit of a boring rider though and probably excessively (forgive the pun) cautious about the health of my engine. Possibly some others find my posts about being careful a bit irritating but I'm always aware that these bikes are up to 30+ years old now, old technology etc and need looking after!
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Typical for me is 5-6000 rpm, have shifted several time at red line with no ill effects. Just get familiar with your gear box before trying to run it that hard, you don't want to hit the false neutral and over rev the poor girl. Otherwise, ride it like ya stole it.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

8500 :d :d :d
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Depends on what type of riding I am doing. For usual every day cruising around, I shift about 4k (I also do not look at the tach, just listen to the engine and shift). If I am going for ground pounding pavement peeling acceleration, then much closer to 7-8k. Power band for these engiens is really about 5k right on up to redline.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

I'll go with DGXSER on his shift points. This is a big torquey engine that will loaf around all day cruising in the 2000 - 3500 range without laboring the thing all, but will willingly rev thru the top of the red on the tach (not really recommended) and go like a scalded cat when being playful in the 6000 - 8000 range. Also remember that when in scalded cat mode, this is a big heavy bike and you will have to be able to pull the thing up when you have to, so I'd take my time to get used to riding it for a fair while before letting rip.
                  Mine has been to the bottom of the red in top gear on a number of occasions and it left me in no doubt that it wanted to keep on going through the red but road conditions and my overwhelming sense of self preservation kicked in and I backed off to a much more sane speed.
                  Last edited by Eveready1100; 05-16-2011, 05:59 AM.
                  79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                  Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                  *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                  *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I've only ever hit redline once, on a freeway entrance ramp, passing several cages. I usually don't go above 5k, as that is where it sits at normal highway speeds (70-75mph). I usually shift much lower, around 3500-4000 though.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

For flat-out, let's-scare-myself acceleration, shift points at about 7500 seem to work best. Just remember, once you get past second gear, you're now in reckless driving ticket territory.. (Below that, it's 'display of excessive speed' )

These bikes have such a wide, flat powerband that once you're above about 4K on the tach, triple-digit speeds are only a wrist-twist away. If you want to have fun, challenge your friends to high-gear-only roll-on races from about 40 mph. Very few bikes have the mid-range torque that these do, and you'll embarrass more than a few big-hp machines..
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

From using my Color-Tune, I found the carbs transitioned from pilot jets to main jets at around 4200 RPM. Finding the shift point for a particular gear that drops the RPM to 4200 RPM or just above for the next gear to be optimal.
                        I shift anywhere from 3000 to 8000 RPM, depending on traffic and my mood.
                        Use of clutch is optional.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I tend to shift a bit on the lower end of the rpm scale compared to what I'm seeing here.

BECAUSE the XS has such a good torque spread above 3,000 rpm, in the lower gears (1,2,3) I shift at around 3,500 rpm, the engine falls back to around 3,000-3,200 rpm after the next gear takes over. Once in 4th, either with the stock gearing or the 750 final drive swap gearing that I now have, I wait until around 3,800-4,000 rpm for the 4-5 upshift.

In general, the XS isn't a powerhouse below 3,000 rpm for what it's worth in terms of sheer grunt, that was even noted in the magazine tests back in the day. Keeping that in mind and based on what I actually feel from the bike is how I've come to shift as I do.

Sure, if and when I want/need to get up and GO!, I'll run it up much higher before shifting, to 6,500-7,000 rpm. As long as the engine is in good mechanical order (valves adjusted, cam chain/tension in good shape, etc) I see no reason that would be a problem.

Just for the sake of keeping a margin of error on an older bike (not that "older" is the problem, but the low desire to blow something up is strong) that I want to last for a long time and not grenade on me, I don't think I've seen more than 7,500-8,000 on the tach since I've owned the bike. And even then it's only been once or twice.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            you don't want to hit the false neutral and over rev the poor girl.
                            If this condition happens between 4th and 5th, I have found it a couple of times.

To answer the question though, most shifts around 4k, running hard 6500. have wanted to go redline, but if I tear her up, won't have anything to ride until she's fixed.
                            Richard
                            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Yes, between 4th and 5th is the false that I've hit a few times when going fast and hard on the upshift to 5th.

I've found by deliberately getting the full clutch pull, while completely rolled out of the throttle and by deliberately toeing the shifter very firmly, then I can be pretty certain I won't hit be in the false neutral when I go back on the throttle.

Being deliberate and firm is the key, no partial or weak toe-up on the shifter that might (and does) work on other bikes I've owned.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X