What is the "Start Jet"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "Start Jet"?

Hi guys, I'm reading the thread on carburetor facts and it mentions the sizes of the "start jet" in variious year models. Would this be for the enricher circuit, ie the "choke"? If so, why would it be smaller on the 79s and later models. I can't see where it would effect emissions since it's only used for a relatively short period of time.

Also, where do you guys buy your jets from? I want to go to a 45 pilot jet. Thank you.
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Link to the thread would help. I am guessing it is just another way of saying pilot jet.

As to the jets I found it easiest and cheapest to get them locally. Once you add in shipping it get a bit more expensive. I got my mains for just under 3 bucks each. Pilot jets were cheaper.

Why do you want to go up on your pilots? I have a 4-1 supertrap exhaust, k&n filter in a drilled out airbox and I haven't (at least yet) went up on my pilot jets.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's in the maintenence section under "carburetors". It lists the pilot jets separately. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73

I was going to get bigger pilot and mains. I remember my original stock '79 (back in '79) running lean so I figured with the K&Ns I better be careful. Maybe not?
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

The "start" jet is pressed into the bowl and can't be removed, just make sure it's clear.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Oh, OK. I saw a passage built into the bowl so I blew some WD-40 through it and then compressed air - all clear!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Link to the thread would help. I am guessing it is just another way of saying pilot jet.

As to the jets I found it easiest and cheapest to get them locally. Once you add in shipping it get a bit more expensive. I got my mains for just under 3 bucks each. Pilot jets were cheaper.

Why do you want to go up on your pilots? I have a 4-1 supertrap exhaust, k&n filter in a drilled out airbox and I haven't (at least yet) went up on my pilot jets.
            Since you have a '78, you already have the pilot jet size I want to put in. I now have 42.5s in my '79.

Comment

That is true.'78's do already have 45 pilots. Phil has the starter jet thing covered.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've a 78 as well. With the custom exhaust and pod filters (and v-stacks) I upped the mains to 145's over the winter, and left the pilots at 45. Significant boost in throttle response and power without any loss of idle quality, and it stayed in sync (yes I checked it). There was no need to adjust the sync or the pilot screws. (I run with the screws about two and a half turns out).
                If you up the pilot jets, you will almost certainly need to do some tuning afterward but I think you will be pleased with the result. I do believe Yam downsized the pilots in 79 strictly for emmissions purposes.
                '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                  Oh, OK. I saw a passage built into the bowl so I blew some WD-40 through it and then compressed air - all clear!
                  A new use for WD-40!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X