head light relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head light relay

is there any OTHER relays i can use... like one i could pick up at a local auto shop? if so PArt number would be greatly apprecated.I already bypassed the RLU but still nothing... also cleaned the connections going to the headlight.... kinda want to ride in the dark and only been able to ride in the morning...erg
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

I forget which two, but you can just put a jumper across two of the terminals of the connector and it will be on as soon as the key comes on. I forget which pair, but IIRC you can try one then the other and one pair will make the headlight come on, the other will do nothing without the engine running.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just had to do this as part of a trouble shooting of my own. The relay is divided vertically, so jumper the two on the left side of the connector IIRC. That will be the same as the relay pulling in.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

well i ordered a handle bar switch from ebay for 14 bux. but ill give this a try next..and i aslo got a new h4 bulb hope i dont have a sealed beam
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

whoo whoo, not sealed beam. but I tried jumping the relay and the headlight still don't turn on so It only leaves the handle bar switch the culprit... I think...

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

I replaced my oe relay with a standard bosch type relay from napa, I seem to remember pn AR294.
            If you jumped the relay and still no light with the switch on, then you have either an open fuse, broken wire, or bad key switch. Time to break out the test lamp and troubleshoot
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

It could still be the left hand switch for hi or low beam. One of the two would normally come on, but the power is fed to that switch and it determines which comes on. Depending what is wrong with the switch neither may come on.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Could be a brain dead RLU as well......
                '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

I bypassed the RLU first....so I don't have to worry about that..lol

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Just an FYI since you already did it, but here's the tech tip for bypassing the RLU:

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...nd-bypass.html
                    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                    Website/Blog

Comment

wooo hooo! just installed my new left turn/headlight/horn switch and I finally have headlights and for the first time sence I got the bike I have turn signals... no more hand signals. got the headlight relay jumped but it ended up being the corner to corner post (red and blue I think) and the new Silvia silver stars are way bright...thanks for the help brothers!

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Glad she is working for you!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

yea it very nice to have her run a work properly

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Thank for this thread, i've been trying to hunt down the problem with the headlight on the field bomb, and I think this is it.
                            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                            79 DT 100

Comment

the headlight was linked to the bad headlight relay... after I jump the red and blue ( I think) worked goooooood

1980 gs1000g "stock"

Comment

Working...
                              X