Bars -suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bars -suggestions?

I'm going to ditch the stock Special bars. I like the way they look, but there's just WAY too much pull back for me. I can hardly even go full throttle because my wrist won't turn that way. On the other side of the spectrum, I have Pro Tapers on my XR650 and they have almost no pullback and cause wrist discomfort after a few hours. What have you guys found to be a happy medium? Someone suggested GL1200 bars. Anyone care to share what they are using and maybe post a pic???
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

The older Goldwings have long been a favorite for alot of folks here. I got the dimensions and went to a local shop and found a set of LTD bars of almost the exact same dimensions and really liked them.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

OK, thank you for verifying that.
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

super bike bars and euro bars are good....
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

I absolutely adore my OE bars on the SF. No other way would work for me. I truly believe most people that ditch them just don't take the time to find the sweet spot.
          I can hardly even go full throttle because my wrist won't turn that way
          Makes my point.
          Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 05-14-2011, 08:01 PM.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Standard bars.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

cb750 bars

I'm trying the cb750 bars from mikesxs ...they are somewhat in between the special bars (wider grip and not as much drop) and the standard.

Now I haven't ridden with them yet since I am in process of swapping everything from my old goldwing bars....

i liked the gw bars, but they had my wrist at a tiny bit wrong angle which bothered me on longer rides. hoping the cb bars fix that.

i will post my thoughts after some riding.

john
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'm almost certain Phil posted this for me some time ago, but if you could post the dimensions of those CB750 bars, I would appreciate it. I always enjoyed the bars on my old CB750s.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

yeah ive heard the ltd bars are good but for me I prefer flat track bars from omars racing they are called slidewaysII 45 bucks and I ve had them 4 years and love them . It also depends on your height and riding style
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I use drag bars with 3" pullback and love them. excellent throttle control and superb handling. you have to be cautious routing your wires and cables though.

Comment

I really like the 81H bars. They are a little higher to clear the taller, largest capacity tank. I put a regular standard tank on the 81H frame. Above the regular standard size tank, you can tip the grips downward a little and still have clearance when the bars swing fully. Tipping them down, you really don't sacrifice the level of the master cylinder much (I used the MC from the 81H). The comfort is good for me for the long rides. In fact, I would really like to find another set for one of my other standards. Any bar that you find as a replacement, you will have to think a little about the MC position, the reach of the wiring and hoses, and clearance with the tank.
                      I can tell you (well not you, but others that own standards) that many bars will not fit above the 81H large capacity tank without tipping them upwards and creating a stupid look.
                      The wheel barrow bars of the specials definately cause "foosball syndrom" to my wrists after a short time of riding - very painful!
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X