SF Front Brake Pads..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Front Brake Pads..

NYC this morning...come out after breakfast and I have a $65 ticket for expired inspection. I head to the local motorbike shop to get the inspection done in the hope that a same day clean inspection will get the ticket voided.
    The bike fails because of worn pads all round. I have the rears and a new rotor, so I ask the parts department if they have the front pads. They have the FA61 and the FA41 but they are different brands and materials..
    The EBC FA61's are kevlar and don't have wear grooves on them.
    The FA41's are a Scandanavian sbs brand, ceramic, what look like metal flecks in 'em and have wear grooves..
    Can I mix these guys on the same axle?

Instinct and common sense tells me that this is probably a bad idea.
    But then so is riding a big cruiser everyday in NYC, so whaddoIknow from common sense...

Oh, and it was exactly $65 for the 4 pads...which I thought was a bit much..

Gareth.

First off, make sure the inspector knows what they are looking at!! The first time I pulled the pads off my first Special, I thought the laws of physics had been altered on this machine. I had no idea how in the name of satan himself anyone could get the pads that worn that unevenly!!! As it turned out, they were pretty much brand new!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I wouldnt

i mean for quick and dirty inspection i might...but i'd replace those semi metallic 41's for organics first chance (or replace the 61's with SMs if that floats your boat)

the grabbier pad will wind up doing the majority of work and wear different i would guess...

OR you might have stumbled on the perfect combo for wet and dry weather braking!

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Was so glad in NJ when they did away with bike inspections and the last couple of years all they needed to see was the brake light.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
        X