Please Help XJ11 rear master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help XJ11 rear master cylinder

I have a XJ1100 with a bad rear master cylinder. It squishes when I try to bleed it, and it makes air in my system? is there a rebuild kit available? probably not right. Does anyone have one that is not messed up fro sale? Or does anyone know what I can swap it with maybey off a ney bike possiblly. any good ideas are welcome. thanks, silvtgr38.

The XJ has a oddball brake system that it shares with only the '81 MNS. You have two choices; find a replacement rear master (or a rebuild kit; both hard to find), or convert to the 'normal' XS master cylinders. Note the plural; the XJ has a 'linked' brake system where the rear master operates the rear brake and one of the fronts, with the handlebar master only operating one front. To convert, you need to change both, as well as the brake lines.

Check over at the XJ forum for more parts info... http://xjbikes.com/
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

While the MNS and the XJ's share the same type of system I do believe that rear master cylinder has a different bore size. The MNS is very hard to find but I think the XJ is somewhat easier to find. The XJ forum is a very good suggestion. I think the members name is Chacal that has parts and kits for sale.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Please Help

Hello I am wondering if anyone out there has rebuild kits for a XJ1100 rear master brake cylinder? Or if anyone knows where I can get another one. Please help if you have a kit to change the brake system over to a regular system. Thank You, Silvtgr38.

Comment

Try a fellow by the name Chacal over at the XJ forum.

http://xjbikes.com/
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by silvtgr38 View Post
            Hello I am wondering if anyone out there has rebuild kits for a XJ1100 rear master brake cylinder? Or if anyone knows where I can get another one. Please help if you have a kit to change the brake system over to a regular system. Thank You, Silvtgr38.
            Welcome to the site.

Are you looking for a kit to fit the original master cylinder, or do you want to get rid of the linked brake setup by replacing the master with a different one? You can get a kit for the original master at the link DGXSER pointed out.

Larry
            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
            82 XJ1100
            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
            64 Yamaha YA-6
            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Hey there SilvTgr,

I merged your previous "HELP!!!" thread with this one since it was essentially the same topic, also edited the title to better reflect the subject, to help OTHERS with similar problems to find it in a search!

Please try to reply within your same thread for the same problem so folks can see what has been done/tried, so they won't suggest the same thing not knowing that it was covered in a separate NEW thread!?
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you are just looking for the rebuild kit I got some from TriCity Cycle in Kitchener Ontario Canada. I also can get them from Sirius MotorSports in the same city.

If you are going to change your braking system so that the front brake operates both front calipers and the rear brake operates only the rear caliper all you have to do is remove the porportioning valve from the rear master cylinder and get a plug for the hole (it works fine just running the back brake). Next you are going to find that running both front calipers off of you existing front master cylinder won't work so good. It is not big enough to handle both calipers (or my arms are to scrawny, one or the other) and to stop you quickly. What I did was replace the front Master Cylinder with one off of an xs1100 which functioned this way. I tried one off of an xj750 but found it was a little light on stopping power as well. But even if you are going to change the way you brakes work you probably are still going to need the rebuild kits.

Dave....
                ---------------------------------
                1984 xj750 (running)
                1983 xj1100 (rebuilding)

Comment

Working...
                X