stator cover replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stator cover replacement

I just bought this 81 Special two weeks ago. It had been laid down and the stator cover has a piece missing out of the bottom of it. I found a used one. I read on here not to remove those three middle screws because it might throw the alignment of the stator off. Is this true? If so, any suggestions when I replace the cover?
    Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
    K&N filter
    Spade fuse block
    Barnett Springs

The one I took apart has some lugs machined into the inside of the cover. (80G)
    The coil fits over the lugs, so that it is centered. If you are not careful, you could get the coil assembly cocked, which would cause it to bind on the rotor. After you put it back together, rotate the engine by hand, using the square nut on the other end of the engine, and feel for any binding. Clockwise as you are looking at the left side of the bike.
    DO NOT USE THE STARTER for checking.
    Remember, 90% of functional deficiencies are due to operator error. CZ

Comment

It's easy. Worry not. Take the entire casing off and disconnect the block connector that connects it to the loom (you can even do it without disconnecting by sitting the casing on a box at the side of the bike). Undo the three bolts and take the stator off. The wire exits at the bottom of the casing, so you really can't go wrong. PLace the stator in the new casing with the wires pointing down and just make sure it's sitting squarely on the little plinth things that it sits on. Twist to line up the bolt holes and then bolt it in.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks guys. I just replaced the cover and want to make sure nothing is binding. Exactly how do I turn over the motor by hand? I'm not seeing this square nut mentioned.
        Ryan

1981 XS1100SH
        K&N filter
        Spade fuse block
        Barnett Springs

Comment

It's not so much a nut, as a square protusion on the timing plate, see illustration below!

It can't tolerate a lot of stress, it's a little bit of a pain, but removing the spark plugs can help reduce the compression to allow it to spin over easier by hand.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X