Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

Went for a long ride last night and as i was getting back into town i noticed that my speedo is squealing really bad. It's still reads fine. Is there anything i can spray in there to make it stop?
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Yeah, you can put a glob of grease on your finger, and pack it in where the speedo cable plugs into the speedo. Worked for me anyways.

Good luck!
    '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Tried the grease thing. It didn't really help. Stopped squealing at 60 kph..But does it at all other speeds.. Went for a 120 km ride today and just as i was getting back into town the speedo needle started to jump a bit. Does anyone know if these can be taken apart and repaired?
      82 XJ1100
      Regina,Saskatchewan,
      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Maybe try spraying silicone in the speedometer cable opening with a straw extension. I'd even remove it from the bike, turn the unit upside down and spray in there and turn with a small screwdriver before I'd open it up.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Yes, but it's a chore not to butcher it.

Send me your email address via PM and I'll send you three acrobat documents with complete instructions for tach/speedo repair.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Once that needle starts jumping like that breaking off is next. Might want to disconnect it if your going to ride before fixing.
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

The XJ speedo is not sealed up like an aircraft black box. (and XS).

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...rument+cluster
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

Wish the XS gauges were that simple!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Not sure about the part of being sealed up like a black box? I just unscrewed the speedo cable at the housing, pulled the entire speedo cable out, cleaned it well, lubed it well, and slid it back in. Being sure that it engaged down at the wheel by having the bike on the center stand, weighting the back end to get the front off the ground, and spinning the wheel hard and fast in the FORWARD direction , and watching the speedo. It either works or it don't.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

He's talking about the speedometer. It's a pretty much sealed unit that while it can be opened, it's never going to look quite the same after it's been opened and resealed.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I gotcha about once it's opened it won't quite look the same. I took my tach off and dis-assembled it to fix the dreaded tach needle wobble. It looks pretty darn good though, AND my tach doesn't wobble. Once I had re-crimped the metal ring around the outside that holds the glass to the housing, it did have some marks and dents in it, so a nice clean careful wrap of black electrical tape around the ring covered up the blemishes and you have to look really close to see it. Put the tape seam on the bottom so it looks "seamless".

If the speedo needle is jumping around, then it would be correct that it's internal to the speedo and would need to be taken apart and checked out/lubed.

'Til then, just unscrew the speedo cable as already mentioned.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'll be pulling it apart on wed. wish me luck.
                        82 XJ1100
                        Regina,Saskatchewan,
                        Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Good luck.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Need reply

I got the speedometer out of the housing. Everything looks good in there. Don't see any teeth missing off gears. Do i lube it with grease or some silicone spry. I brought it down to the office to lube it,so i will wait for a reply before doing so.
                            82 XJ1100
                            Regina,Saskatchewan,
                            Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

there is a write up on the xjbikes site that discribes where to lube. I think silicone would be good for the internal gears and some grease in the end of the Speedo (where the cable goes in)

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15303.html

Its a pretty detailed write up. but I would not disasemble it just lube in the places he points out.
                              Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                              80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                              82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                              82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                              72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Working...
                              X