Headlight confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight confusion

I'm not sure if I am missing something here or have non compatible parts, but I am trying to install the complete headlight/turn signal assembly and the headlight bucket I have has this odd shaped connector piece on each side. The turn signals I bought came with them too, and I can't imagine how they mount up to the ears. Here is a pic of the connector piece I'm referring to next to one of the ears. Thanks for the help
    2007 Yamaha r6
    81SH

That is definitely NOT an XS11 part.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

If th is is for your SH th en I have no idea what that part in your hand is. There is a rubber gromet that goes in the hole in the headlight ear. The turn signal stem goes through that gromet. The gromet is a custom designed piece for these bikes and it lines up the turn signa so it points correctly.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

That is the XS650 mounts. Same signals but different mounting bushing
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yes, the end mount for the SH IIRC (and I'm sure DGSXSER will correct me if I'm wrong cause I know he knows, as does Cbug, but he's more polite ) have square ends there, as do as a matter of fact, XS400's although I think the 400 uses a smaller square piece (haven't compared them side by side so I'm not sure but I think so, and this applies only to the front, the 400 uses a strange X shaped thing for the rear) but that is certainly a 650 piece.

Of course mine being a standard uses totally different signals, and besides, having always having had the fairing on, and the front signals having been apparently thrown away many moons ago, I actually have a slightly better idea of what the special front signals look like than the standard ones do since I have actually SEEN the special ones up close . I've only seen pictures of the standard ones, I've never actually seen a naked standard bike in person, as I'm only ever seen two other XS11's before, one naked special and and 81H just a few days ago (speaking of which, gotta make arrangements for his oil change, to get that oil filter bolt out).
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Come on now Cy, I'm polite!!

The rubber gasket, is circular with a square hole when you look at it, but the circular rubber are lips on each side. The center is a square shape that matches the hole in the bracket shown. In the center of the gasket, there is a square hole but at a different rotation and smaller than the hole in the bracket.

The turn signal will have a metal fitting that is round with a little locating tang in it. It also has a square protrusion on the back side, that square fits in the inner square hole of the gasket. The sleeve the turn signal is on has a slot that will align the turn signal rotation to the tang on the round fitting.

Here is a pic of it all assembled. The black rubber gasket is what goes in the hole of the bracket. Best pic I have, sorry.

Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I concur that what you have is an XS650 piece. I have a lot of those! I just purchased the XS11 Special pieces from a dealer. It didn't hurt too bad.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Both the headlight bucket and the fork ear have rubber grommets that the light stalk passes through.
                7 90209-08098-00 WASHER, SPECIAL SHAPE
                10 341-83316-01-00 COLLAR, FLASHER 1
                12 341-83321-01-00 DAMPER, FLASHER 1
                19 584-84345-60-00 DAMPER, HEADLIGHT
                20 584-84338-60-00 COLLAR, BODY FTNG

The last two parts go in the headlight shell.

I usually get my parts from Yamaha Sports Center, but you may have your own favorite.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Nice so I'll be able to get the correct hardware from the dealer then?
                  2007 Yamaha r6
                  81SH

Comment

hmm...

Yeah, I don't have any good suggestions regarding your headlight. I did, however, want to compliment you on drinking locally; I believe I spy a growler waiting patiently in the shade for you. That's about all I can offer this conversation.
                    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik the Red View Post
                      Yeah, I don't have any good suggestions regarding your headlight. I did, however, want to compliment you on drinking locally; I believe I spy a growler waiting patiently in the shade for you. That's about all I can offer this conversation.
                      Hahaha cheers!
                      2007 Yamaha r6
                      81SH

Comment

Nice so I'll be able to get the correct hardware from the dealer then?
                        Yes. The link in my previous post has the best prices I can find. www.boats.net is good too. Your dealer isn't likely to have the parts on the shelf anyway. You're going to have to look up the part numbers yourself unless you visit your local dealer and pay for that service.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Working...
                        X