BMW R1100R vs XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW R1100R vs XS1100

Just picked myself up a BMW oilhead, 1998 R1100R naked roadster. Twenty years newer than my XS and a boxer twin with fuel injection, ABS and telelever front suspension. I've been joyfully tuning and riding it all week. It is much torque-ier than the XS, but with less even power through the first 3 gears. The XS is much quicker.

I commuted on the XS this morning for the first time in about 10 days and was VERY pleasantly surprised. It was quite an adjustment conforming to the much more compressed, sporty 'snug' position on the BMW, but once I was adjusted it felt like a natural extension of me. I thought getting back on the XS would confirm my instinct to get another BMW (i've had several), but after this morning's ride I was really amazed how awesome this bike is. Smooth, powerful, easy shifting, comfortable, satisfying. Of course, there is no comparison to the handling and brakes of the BMW, but the XS holds up. Now I'm really stuck because I had planned to sell the XS to pay for the BMW! I'm thinking maybe I'll just put collector insurance on it and keep it for pleasure riding and short trips!
    '78 XS1100E 57,000kms
    Vancouver, BC

Or, just sell the BMW to finance the purchase of 3 more XS's!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I've never liked BMW motorcycles, to be honest. Certainly, in my peer group in the late 1970's, nobody I knew would ride one. They were synonymous with being old and fuddy-duddy and, indeed, the 'mature students' at the University where I went usually had them (one of them also had a Sunbeam sidevalve in olive green). For power, unashamed gas-guzzling, attitude and styling, the Japanese had the Germans beaten IMO! BMW were always harping on about safety and touring and mpg....not likely to appeal to testosterone-laden young men out to impress! I do recall that the styling was particularly boring and, on the flat-twin R series, half the battery was visible from the side of the bike. The police used them in the UK and that added to the negative image for us lot. Also, as you've noticed, the XS1100, or Suzuki 750 'Kettle' , or GS1000 would hammer any BMW in terms of speed/acceleration.

Not that I'm biased, or opinionated or anything...!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        I've never liked BMW motorcycles, to be honest. Certainly, in my peer group in the late 1970's, nobody I knew would ride one. They were synonymous with being old and fuddy-duddy and, indeed, the 'mature students' at the University where I went usually had them (one of them also had a Sunbeam sidevalve in olive green). For power, unashamed gas-guzzling, attitude and styling, the Japanese had the Germans beaten IMO! BMW were always harping on about safety and touring and mpg....not likely to appeal to testosterone-laden young men out to impress! I do recall that the styling was particularly boring and, on the flat-twin R series, half the battery was visible from the side of the bike. The police used them in the UK and that added to the negative image for us lot. Also, as you've noticed, the XS1100, or Suzuki 750 'Kettle' , or GS1000 would hammer any BMW in terms of speed/acceleration.

Not that I'm biased, or opinionated or anything...!
        I don't know that the XS1100 has anything on style points! Quite dated and UJM looking. The R1100r floors the XS in the upper range...they are inverse power bands almost. The beemer slingshots at 4500rpm in 3rd or 4th gear, and tears off in 5th even more. That said, you are right on the other points. Sort of like comparing a 70s porsche and a GTO imho.
        '78 XS1100E 57,000kms
        Vancouver, BC

Comment

Other bike

I just fired up my SV1000S Suzuki and the difference in handling is huge.
          BUT, Mrs Snippets and I just met with the OFMR ( old farts motorcycle riders ) in Cloverdale this morning. For riding with these guys and riding two up, the XS11 is the better bike. I have collectors plates on my 79 XS11. I insure the Suzuki for me to ride during the summer. I will probably get a 400cc bike or smaller to insure for the winter months. You have to have something else insured for collector plates if you did not know that already.
          There were two BMW twins in the group.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Snippets View Post
            I just fired up my SV1000S Suzuki and the difference in handling is huge.
            BUT, Mrs Snippets and I just met with the OFMR ( old farts motorcycle riders ) in Cloverdale this morning. For riding with these guys and riding two up, the XS11 is the better bike. I have collectors plates on my 79 XS11. I insure the Suzuki for me to ride during the summer. I will probably get a 400cc bike or smaller to insure for the winter months. You have to have something else insured for collector plates if you did not know that already.
            There were two BMW twins in the group.

Unkle Crusty
            Applying for collector plates tomorrow. I'm only 44years old. I guess being an old fart is a state of mind, so I'm not going there!
            '78 XS1100E 57,000kms
            Vancouver, BC

Comment

I am picking up a new Triumph Tiger 800 next year to cross some more states of the list - and then ride it up to Alaska. That will be the bike I rack up miles on and the preferred choice for distance rides. When it comes to a morning ride to the coffee shop, or an evening ride down the coast, the XS will always be the bike of choice
              1980 XS1100 Midnight Special
              1980 XS400 Special - (cafe project)
              2009 Polaris 600 RMK (got to ride something in the winter)

Comment

Originally posted by MGordon View Post
                I don't know that the XS1100 has anything on style points! Quite dated and UJM looking
                The UK spec XS1100 is the epitome of styling...classic....beautiful....everything a motorcycle should look like.........poetry in motion....a thing of beauty.........understated........the last of the lovely bikes........

Not that I'm biased or anything!
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  The UK spec XS1100 is the epitome of styling...classic....beautiful....everything a motorcycle should look like.........poetry in motion....a thing of beauty.........understated........the last of the lovely bikes........

Not that I'm biased or anything!
                  I'd have to agree re: UK models. I especially like the F and G models post 1978...two-tone paint. If/when I repaint my bike, that is the way I'd like to go, and get rid of the ugly scripted 70s tank/side badges and 'macho' marroon!..ugh
                  '78 XS1100E 57,000kms
                  Vancouver, BC

Comment

Ofmr

Originally posted by MGordon View Post
                    Applying for collector plates tomorrow. I'm only 44years old. I guess being an old fart is a state of mind, so I'm not going there!
                    All these guys are over 60.
                    Mrs Snippets was the only lady there. There is about 20 in the group.
                    We will try and join them for an outing sometime. At the moment I am getting the boat ready for the Swiftsure race later this month, and then ready for a trip to Haida Qwai in July August.
                    Boat is in victoria. I will be back and forth every couple of weeks.
                    Mrs Snippets is in White Rock.
                    I get my status card ( gold care card ) in July and free ferry rides during the week.

Unkle crusty

Comment

If you want better handling buy the racetech emulators. The diffrences are night and 2 days!
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

If you want better handling buy the racetech emulators. The diffrences are night and 2 days!
                        I'll 2nd that!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

what are they emulating?

why are they emulators and what do they emulate? (besides a better handling bike)

How does an emulator change the handling? I think the XS handles just fine. I didn't really notice a change after tKat brace either. Only things noticable so far was new shocks and tires.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The emulators "emulate" modern tunable cartridge forks. They provide superior performance in all conditions. You would notice the difference the first time you squeeze the brake. It's not a subtle difference like the fork brace. This change is huge!

Go to www.racetech.com for a complete explanation.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              The emulators "emulate" modern tunable cartridge forks. They provide superior performance in all conditions. You would notice the difference the first time you squeeze the brake. It's not a subtle difference like the fork brace. This change is huge!

Go to www.racetech.com for a complete explanation.
                              Thanks guys....Does this take the place of a fork brace (i.e. stop the front end from flexing/wobbling) or just in that it provides much stiffer compression, hence less diving and more stability in handling. I've never felt a bike wobble more than the XS!
                              '78 XS1100E 57,000kms
                              Vancouver, BC

Comment

Working...
                              X