Installing Stock Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Stock Exhaust

What is the best (easiest) way to install a stock exhaust system on an 81sh? Should I assemble it, headers and crossover pipes or just the headers and then attach the crossover pipes after installation?

David
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

I have always had them as 2 pieces (left half and right half). I never separate the headers from the mufflers. I line up the headers with my feet under the bike, and I support the mufflers with my toes. Once I get the header nuts started, I work on the crossover connection and start the other support points. Then, I go back and tighten the header nuts and the support points. Of course, if mine looked like they would come apart without disintegrating, I might try that way too...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks Cat. I have new gaskets for the headers (at the motor). Do I need gaskets at the other connections?

David
      1981 XS1100 Special
      Previous Bikes
      1982 Honda CB900c
      1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

There are round gaskets that go under each of the clamps. Part number 3JJ-14653-00-00. Here's a picture:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
          Thanks Cat. I have new gaskets for the headers (at the motor). Do I need gaskets at the other connections?
          Hi David,
          some have gotten away with re-using the old header gaskets and crush sleeves, others have not. Especially the crush sleeves as they tend to disintegrate when the pipes are pulled out of them.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi David,
            some have gotten away with re-using the old header gaskets and crush sleeves, others have not. Especially the crush sleeves as they tend to disintegrate when the pipes are pulled out of them.
            Definitely. Mine has 2 sets of used header gaskets on it. That's also the reason I don't take my exhaust apart - the gaskets would be toast.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I purchase my xs1100sh last year for $750.00. It was kept in a heated storage facility for ten years prior to that. It was auctioned off for non-payment of the storage fees.

It is in amazing condition. However the mufflers were eaten by rust before it was placed in storage. I bought a stock exhaust system on eBay last year. It was completely disassemble for shipping. That is why I need to reassemble and install it.

David
              1981 XS1100 Special
              Previous Bikes
              1982 Honda CB900c
              1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Working...
              X