Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my handle bars

So I got my handlebars today...they look like this

These Bars are a the 7/8ths where all the controls go however they are 1 1/8 where they are they get mounted at...So, here is my idea...I know they are too big for the bike but I am going to install a set of these

these will allow me to mount the bars without changing out the stock tree system...

My idea is to invert the handlebars allowing for a more aggressive stance...I haven't made any for certain plans but i think that it will look nice...

the next question i have is...Has anyone ever put taller springs on the back? I know that some have lowered it about 1 1/2 inches before...but im wondering about rasing it 1 1/2 inches...and what would this do to handling? I want to do both...lower the rear as well as raise it in order to have 3 set ups for my bike...
    1 - Stock Set Up
    2- Sport Aggressive Setup
    3- Chopper/Custom look Bike...
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM. Reason: image layout
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Why didn't you just get the same shape bars in full 7/8"? Why get the tapered ones and have to mess with the adapters?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      Why didn't you just get the same shape bars in full 7/8"? Why get the tapered ones and have to mess with the adapters?
      I got the bars on ebay for 15 bux...they said they were 7/8 and ended up not...and i found an adapter for $27 free shipping...i was thinking it will prolly work out fine for me anyway since a lot of Ape Hangers come in the bigger size anyway, gives me more options...so i figure bars and adapter both cost me under the 60 it costs for the 7/8 bars anyway...

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

If you go up with the rear you are going to be changing the u-joint angle. Depending on where you end up you might have too steep of a angle on the u-joint. Gotta be careful as to where you end up with it.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I can't remember without searching what the stock length is, but I bought the shocks from mikesxs that were 1" longer than stock. Been riding with them for almost four years now without any sort of problem. My reasoning was that the lighter springs (for a 650) would sag more and so I'd need a little taller shock.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by g15usmc View Post
            So I got my handlebars today...
            - - - - My idea is to invert the handlebars allowing for a more aggressive stance... - - - I haven't made any for certain plans but i think that it will look nice... - - -
            the next question i have is...Has anyone ever put taller springs on the back? - - -
            Hi Nate,
            the pro-taper logo should have clued you in that those bars were fatter in the middle?
            WTF, those adapters will put them on the forks just fine.
            And never mind how they look when inverted, the only thing that matters is whether they are comfortable.
            And yes, Mr. Stupid bought good quality NOS shocks at a swapmeet that were 2" too long.
            Longer shocks move more weight onto the front wheel and tilting the frame lessens the rake angle to quicken the steering.
            Alas, they also make the shaft drive U-joint run at a worse angle so Mr. Chicken took them off again.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I ran a 1" longer rear shock for about 30K miles with no problems. IIRC the eye to eye was 13.5". I have progressive shocks/springs on that bike.
              As far as the bars, just post pictures when done, and we won't razz you too much!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                I can't remember without searching what the stock length is, but I bought the shocks from mikesxs that were 1" longer than stock. Been riding with them for almost four years now without any sort of problem. My reasoning was that the lighter springs (for a 650) would sag more and so I'd need a little taller shock.
                Stock is I believe 12.5" IIRC. You would be able to go at least an inch either direction without putting any bind on the universal joint or the FD coupling (remember, that angle change will make that change slightly too though nowhere near as much as the front does, just a very little bit).

If lowering, you may have to stiffen the suspension to prevent bottoming though. Raising it, the only problem I can see is that it changes the frame geometry and thus handling some, but so does raising or lowering the front end as well. And like psycoreefer's, my shocks sag a little more, but not because they were made for a 650 , it's my fat arse that makes them sag, so I just increase the air pressure in them.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

12.5" I beleive is the stock shock eye to eye.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    12.5" I beleive is the stock shock eye to eye.
                    Hah! I type faster than you!
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      Hah! I type faster than you!
                      You would!!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Nate,
                        the pro-taper logo should have clued you in that those bars were fatter in the middle?
                        WTF, those adapters will put them on the forks just fine.
                        And never mind how they look when inverted, the only thing that matters is whether they are comfortable.
                        And yes, Mr. Stupid bought good quality NOS shocks at a swapmeet that were 2" too long.
                        Longer shocks move more weight onto the front wheel and tilting the frame lessens the rake angle to quicken the steering.
                        Alas, they also make the shaft drive U-joint run at a worse angle so Mr. Chicken took them off again.
                        Fred, Protaper makes mostly 7/8 handle bars...only one kind that are the 1 1/8 the contours... which i had been looking for as a logo on the picture provided on ebay but it wasn't there and advertised as as 7/8 i went with it...figure for 15 bux its not a big problem anyway...the reply to my questioning of the seller after receiving them was "the 7/8 was referring to the mounting of the controls" no big deal to me though ill have the mounts in a couple days...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Got the Mounts...LOOKS NICE!

So here is what they look like mounted no handlebars attached first the side view

then the top view

then we have a few pictures of the handlebars mounted on top...and i though i haven't gotten the controls on they feel good where they sit...i might change them a little after the controls are mounted...i'll post a pic after the controls have been changed...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

It's going to look like an angry red cape buffalo. In the best of ways, of course!

1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special
                            1969 (or '70 or '71) Triumph (Trophy or BSA) 250

Comment

Originally posted by Mendizale View Post
                              It's going to look like an angry red cape buffalo. In the best of ways, of course!
                              You Know i was kind of thinking that...

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

Working...
                              X