Basic cleaning of platic and rubbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic cleaning of platic and rubbers

I am at a stage of starting to look at the reassebly of my 80 Std.
    but to do so requires making sure the parts are nice, clean or properly presented.
    My 80Std is an English Assembled bike, bought new, by the previous owner.
    He had it undersealed to combat the salt used on English roads in winter.
    30 years of road grime has attached itself to this underseal, the frame had to be acid bathed before it could be powder coated.

My problem is that everything has been covered with a very sticky almost grease like slime that just does not want to let go.
    There are areas that I will not need to remove this sealer, but I want to clean the inner rear gaurd, the plastic one, the frame rubbers, the wireing loom, and all the relays that hide under the seat and tank.
    With out going for exspensive chemicals , any suggestions would be good.

I also would like to know personal thoughts on zinc plating the many bolts, washers, screws and small parts used in assembly.
    Is it good to get these zinc coated ,then paint black or just clean and paint.

Thoughts also on having the brake calipers refinished, would powder coating be better than enamel paint to resist damage from brake fluid, and is this better done before or after reconditioning the pistons and seals. This is also for all the calipers, and the mater cylinders.

A bit of useless info, the PO, never had the Brake fluid changed by the look of it, it was puke green and very frothy, the brakes were very bad when I first rode her. A definate reason for changing all the fluids when you first get a bike, never assume the PO did all the proper maintenance.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
    In stock untouched contion.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
    Mikes XS coils
    Jardine 4-1
    Pod filters
    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
    Bullet signal lights
    Twin 75mm headlights
    Self made single seat

WD-40 works well on various kinds of goo without adverse effects. Give that a try.

Plating your hardware may cost as much as replacing it.

Once the calipers are assembled, powder coat is not an option. Caliper paint is likely available at your local parts house in aerosol cans. That will make your boo boos easy to fix later.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 05-07-2011, 04:51 PM.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Working...
    X