Windjammer V - Change headlight? & other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windjammer V - Change headlight? & other questions

Just got my Fleabay Windjammer V and was surprised to find it has a sealed beam headlight, I was expecting to find a Halogen bulb in it. I really need better illumination than a sealed beam with all the Deer around here and don't want to add multiple lights.

Anyone have experience with replacing the Sealed beam with Halogen?

I'm going to put it on a XJ11 and though it came with a mounting bracket for the XJ, there were no instructions on how to decipher where & what the connections go to. I've gone to the Vetter site but the only instructions for the XS11/XJ11 is for the saddlebags.

This is kinda like Area 51 & I have to figure out what to do with the unknown.

Suggestions?

Anyone have a copy of the installation instructions I could get a copy of?

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

The sealed beam IS a halogen. They are an upgrade (newer technology) from the little H4 bulbs that slip into the reflector. You can also buy them at any auto parts store for $11.

I upgraded my Windjammer from the sealed beam to an HID setup, and that really improved the light output. Plenty of space in the fairing to hold all the parts for the HID system too!

As far as the Vetter pigtail goes, here is a link to a Tech Tip that explains it all. Can't get any better than that. Hopefully, you can use that info to map out what your wires actually are.

If you take the Vetter pigtail off the fairing and look at the end of the plug, they should be set up like this:

___Violet___________Green_____________Blue
    Left Turn sig._____Running lights_____Right Turn sig.

___White___________Yellow_____________Black
    High Beam_________Low Beam__________Ground

__Orange___________Brown______________Red
    Horns (opt.)_____always 12v+ (radio)____Cig. Lighter
    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-04-2011, 12:17 PM.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

If you go with an H4 style headlight, you may as well put in an HID bulb/ballast

lower wattage (35W) and way more light. about $30 total

--Nick

Comment

Originally posted by somesuch View Post
        lower wattage (35W) and way more light. about $30 total
        Not sure where you got yours from, but HID setups are usually in the $60-80 range.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

And hid retrofits are still illegal in most all states.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi Bug,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I think this is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation; most clear and understandable. I have a fair amount to do to make the faring look as new, now I have at least a schematic for it.

Cheers!

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            The sealed beam IS a halogen. They are an upgrade (newer technology) from the little H4 bulbs that slip into the reflector. You can also buy them at any auto parts store for $11.

I upgraded my Windjammer from the sealed beam to an HID setup, and that really improved the light output. Plenty of space in the fairing to hold all the parts for the HID system too!

As far as the Vetter pigtail goes, here is a link to a Tech Tip that explains it all. Can't get any better than that. Hopefully, you can use that info to map out what your wires actually are.

If you take the Vetter pigtail off the fairing and look at the end of the plug, they should be set up like this:

___Violet___________Green_____________Blue
            Left Turn sig._____Running lights_____Right Turn sig.

___White___________Yellow_____________Black
            High Beam_________Low Beam__________Ground

__Orange___________Brown______________Red
            Horns (opt.)_____always 12v+ (radio)____Cig. Lighter
            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Not sure about legality, the place here in San Jose that sells them said that the AC kits in 4K range are legal. The car kit is $60 like you mentioned, but if you have two bikes, or want to split it with a friend it becomes $30/per light.

--Nick

Comment

Working...
              X