1980 XS1100 Balance Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100 Balance Point?

I am building a quick insert for my motorcycle jack that will pick up a couple frame members and allow me to access to everything (oil filer, exhaust, etc.)

Anyone know the balance point on these bikes? I thought I would throw it out there if someone can save me some time...
    1980 XS1100 Midnight Special
    1980 XS400 Special - (cafe project)
    2009 Polaris 600 RMK (got to ride something in the winter)

Originally posted by Craigaboy View Post
    I am building a quick insert for my motorcycle jack that will pick up a couple frame members and allow me to access to everything (oil filer, exhaust, etc.)

Anyone know the balance point on these bikes? I thought I would throw it out there if someone can save me some time...
    Hi Craig,
    it's gotta be a little ahead of the centerstand pivots.
    Exactly where depends on all manner of variables, small things like how full is the gas tank and how worn are the tires to big things like does the bike have a windshield or a fairing or hard bags etc. etc.
    The only way to find out is by experiment.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      Hi Craig,
      it's gotta be a little ahead of the centerstand pivots.
      Exactly where depends on all manner of variables, small things like how full is the gas tank and how worn are the tires to big things like does the bike have a windshield or a fairing or hard bags etc. etc.
      The only way to find out is by experiment.
      10-4 ... It will be easy to build it - lift the bike up - slide it fore/aft to find a good center point - and then drill the location/retainer pins. I will throw up some measurements and photos this afternoon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Craigaboy View Post
        10-4 ... It will be easy to build it - lift the bike up - slide it fore/aft to find a good center point - and then drill the location/retainer pins. I will throw up some measurements and photos this afternoon. Thanks!
        You want to drill holes in the bike frame?

BAD BAD IDEA!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Holes in the Jack mount nate.

Comment

Originally posted by Irukandji View Post
            Holes in the Jack mount nate.
            Yep, almost finished. Will throw some photos up.

Comment

Here are a few picts. Will be bolting jack adapter to jack lift and securing the bike with additional methods.

Comment

Nice! Make it foldable, and you might have a marketable tool there!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Hell, foldable or not, Id buy one from you! Beautiful bike btw!
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

moving target

Remember the point moves as you remove things like wheels, exhaust, etc.

Just be sure not to only rely on the jack but use stands also.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                      Hell, foldable or not, Id buy one from you! Beautiful bike btw!
                      Thanks man. I love the look of an original machine that has been taken care of so well. The little bumps, nicks, and worn areas add to the character. - I'll throw up a few dimensions when I have it finished in case someone wants to do something similar.

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      Remember the point moves as you remove things like wheels, exhaust, etc.

Just be sure not to only rely on the jack but use stands also.

John
                      Will do - I'll be fabricating some additional supports before doing any work on the bike while elevated.

Comment

I like that bike caddy. I've already burnt 3 pads off of my jack, due to hot exhaust. Try lining the lift point with an old inner tube, to protect your paint.
                        1982 XJ1100

Comment

leather

i am thinking leather instead of rubber. more heat resistant. tough. easy on paint and plentiful.

john
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

good thought. either one would work. i have some old welding gloves - i'll cut up the area that runs up your arm and super 77 it to the tubing halves. for now the inside of the tubing is polished and the edges are smooth and round.

Comment

Originally posted by tantor View Post
                              I like that bike caddy. I've already burnt 3 pads off of my jack, due to hot exhaust. Try lining the lift point with an old inner tube, to protect your paint.
                              I only said that because I'm economical, and I know that I keep used inner tubes for purposes just like this!
                              1982 XJ1100

Comment

Working...
                              X