Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech question about XS400 and 750 vs 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech question about XS400 and 750 vs 1100?

Hey Folks,

Hoping for info from folks who have either an Xs400 and 750, one or both.

A fellow in Australia will be receiving a SOFCA soon for his XS750 that he's fixing up for some racing. I know the 750 uses the same filter and filter cup as the 1100, but a different filter cup "bolt"...Yamaha calls it the bypass valve assembly in the fiche!

I would expect that Yamaha would have used the same machining tools for making the bolt hole threads for both models since they use the same cups, but the bolts may just be different lengths??

I know the size/thread of the 11 is 20mm x 1.5mm pitch, and would expect the 750 to be the same, and a simple testing of the 1100 bolt test threading it into the 750 hole would suffice!

This Aussie also has a 400, and would like to get a SOFCA for it as well. But what I don't know is whether it uses the same size/thread pitch for the filter bolt as the 1100. The parts fiche shows different numbers for the cup and filter element, as well as the bolt/bypass, but it has the same WASHER, which would be sized to allow the same size/diameter 20mm bolt as the 1100.

Has anybody who has a 400 ever tried their 1100 filter bolt in the 400 bolt hole, or can confirm that it's the same size/thread pitch??

Also, if someone will be doing an oil/filter change on their 400 anytime in the near future, if they could take some photos of the engine case where the cup fits, and measure the diameter of the filter cup mating surface, both inner and outer, and also if any parts protrude away from the engine case inside the filter cup area above the cup mating surface, that would be very helpful in me being able to adapt my machining of the 1100 SOFCA so that it could fit the 400! A big thanks in advance for any/all info on this!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Wow, there is a big difference in the size of the 400 filter cup. I didn't have any plans to change the oil on the 400 any time soon, since it's kinda stored, but then I'm planning on tearing it down to rebuild it anyways, so that would be a good time anyways. I've got the 1100 bolt sitting over on the side of the garage, so I can sure compare them as well. But I'll say, that space for the 400 filter cup is TIGHT! It's like 1/2 the size of the 1100 or something like that, which may be a problem. Since mine won't be going anywhere any time soon, if I cleaned it up, would having the cup be of any use to you? I can get you some pictures of the are where the cup is as well.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Hey Cy,

Thanks, as I said no big rush. Just some measurements of the cup's diameter and mating surface thickness, as well as seeing the crankcase without the cup on would be great. I wouldn't need to have the cup in person/on hand. But I need to know if there's anything sticking out from the crank within the cup area and above/beyond the mating surface level.

The OEM cup is ~5.15" diameter, I use 5.25" diameter stock, and machine it down a little, but leave it a little wider than the OEM size. This project would most likely be a ONE OFF job, UNLESS some other members with a 400 were wanting a SOFCA or even a SOFA for their bike!? The basic design is established now with the SOFCA, so it can be just a matter of resizing for the 400, but can still work!?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X