Replacement Clutchs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Clutchs?

Wondering what people are running for replacement clutchs and clutch springs. Also where they got them from. mines just starting to slip under WOT so starting the search now

Originally posted by my79is2bad View Post
    Wondering what people are running for replacement clutchs and clutch springs. Also where they got them from. mines just starting to slip under WOT so starting the search now
    My clutch was slipping under acceleration with a passenger. I stripped my clutch and lightly sanded the metal plates to remove the surface coat that they seem to acquire. I bought generic friction plates off eBay... not Yamaha or any particular brand. I used 10% stronger clutch springs and also replaced the clutch release centre bearing (worth doing while you're in there IMO). It cured the problem....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I believe the plates are the same as the XS650, but more of them. Mike's XS has them. Parts-N-More has them as well as the dealer and I'm sure, a few others.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

If your interested in just replacing it all anyway, go ahead. Many folks, myself included, that have had slipping at heavy accelleration only find that simply replacing the springs will resolve it. If you have a micrometer, measure the length of the springs, and the thickness of your friction disc. I have yet to find a friction disc under spec in these, but always seems the springs are our of spec. Also check your metal plates for warpage, but again I have yet to find any that were out of spec.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Lots of discussion on clutch problems in the forum. I tried to make a pole to see what the majority of people are doing to fix it...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=clutch
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

i have a set of new friction plates $30.00 mailed
            careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Its going to be your springs as they are over 30 years old. This is usually a very simple fix and not very expensive. Can even be done with the bike on the side stand without draining the oil (more on that later).

You will need a large socket and an impact to remove the clutch nut that holds it all in. Take the pack apart and then clean and lightly sand the floaters with 400 grit. As long as the frictions are not visibly deteriorated, re-use the frictions. Mic them if you can (if less than .11" change them). Check the steel floaters for warpage by placing them on a piece of glass and try to slide a .004" feeler gauge between the floater and the glass. If it does then change the floater. Some guys install an extra floater in the middle of the pack but I have never done this. Change the springs for new ones. Usually a set of heavy duty EBC springs can be had for around $20.00-$30.00. Put it back together. Torque the clutch nut to 50-55 pound feet and the star plate nuts to only 7-8 pound feet and watch out for the star plate when you tighten up the pack. They are easy to break if everything is not lined up well. That should solve your problem.

As for the 'not draining the oil part', if you have synthetic oil now might be a good time to change back to dino oil. Some say the type of oil affects clutch grip and all I know is these wet clutch packs are not designed to swim in synthetics.

A few hours and a couple of beers.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Change the springs. Use these springs, ebc springs come new just barely above the spec number. These are barnett spring, last way longer than ebc.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...14&Search.y=10
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Last set of springs I ordered from my local shop. Paid about $16 for them. They were heavy duty springs.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    If your interested in just replacing it all anyway, go ahead. Many folks, myself included, that have had slipping at heavy accelleration only find that simply replacing the springs will resolve it. If you have a micrometer, measure the length of the springs, and the thickness of your friction disc. I have yet to find a friction disc under spec in these, but always seems the springs are our of spec. Also check your metal plates for warpage, but again I have yet to find any that were out of spec.
                    I tried replacing just the springs, and it worked, so I never put the plates in...one of these days I'll throw them on Ebay.

--Nick

Comment

Originally posted by somesuch View Post
                      I tried replacing just the springs, and it worked, so I never put the plates in...one of these days I'll throw them on Ebay.

--Nick
                      How much do you want for the clutch plates? Is it just the fibers, or are the steels included. My zip is 97301.

Thanks
                      Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                        How much do you want for the clutch plates? Is it just the fibers, or are the steels included. My zip is 97301.

Thanks
                        Larry
                        PM'd you

--Nick

Comment

Ended up getting an EBC Clutch and Heavy duty springs from bikebandit.com for $108 shipped

Comment

Thanks to somesuch, I'll be installing Barnett clutch plates and springs along with the hydraulic clutch mod.

Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

before you install those barnetts check them on a known flat surface for warpage. I know my barnetts had a tiny bit and made the clutch stutter. Others have had similar issues, maybe its a shipping thing I don't know.
                              1979 xs1100 Special -
                              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                              My Bike:
                              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                              X